"CALL HIS NAME JESUS" "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21) I detain the Reader at this scripture, while observing the name of our adorable Lord, and the reason assigned by the angel wherefore He is called Jesus, just to remark, what a precious name it hath been in all ages of the church; it still is, and will be through all eternity. It is the same name, in point of significancy, as that of Joshua, or Hoshea, both meaning a Savior. One of the old writers hath made a sweet and comprehensive sense of it, when he said, "in the name of Jesus the whole gospel is hid: for it is the light, the food, the medicine, yea, the very life of the soul." And if the Reader also makes his full remarks upon the angel‚Äôs words, he will say the same. "Thou shalt call His name Jesus!" Wherefore? It is immediately answered. "For He shall save His people from their sins." Now observe the beauty and blessedness of those expressions. Jesus had a people then, even before His incarnation. And it was known that this people would be sinners. And a provision was therefore made, in the grace of God, for their recovery, even before they had a being. And the very office of Jesus is to save them from their sins. Yea, the very reason why He is called Jesus is to save them on this account. Precious Lord Jesus, I would say, Oh give Thy people grace to see Thee, and to know Thee, in this Thy most blessed name, and never to hear that sweet name, or to call upon it, without connecting it with the angel‚Äôs words. "Thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins." ‚ÄďRobert Hawker *****
HOW DEAR AND PRECIOUS IS THE NAME TUNE "I HEARD THE BELLS" LM WORDS BY JIM BYRD
1. How dear and precious is the Name Of Him Who down from heaven came; His Name above all names shall be, Now and through all eternity.
2. O lift your voices to proclaim The praise and glory of His Name; That Name of Him who came to earth, There never was a nobler birth.
3. Christ came from His most holy place To save His loved and chosen race; The Shepherd left His throne on high, For His own sheep to bleed and die.
4. Upon Him all our sins were laid, And by His blood our debt was paid; He conquered sin, death and the grave, And ever lives mighty to save.
5. Jesus, Redeemer, Savior, King, Accept the tribute which we bring; Thy Name above all names shall be, Now and through all eternity.
***** SCRIPTURE READING: Morning Worship: Luke 2:1-20
***** Daily Readings - December 21-27 Sunday - 1 Peter 3-5 Monday - 2 Peter 1-3 Tuesday - 1 John 1-3 Wednesday- 1 John 4-5 Thursday - 2 & 3 John Friday - Jude - Rev. 2 Saturday - Revelation 3-6 *****
Public Worship Public worship is the public assembly of God‚Äôs saints meeting together to worship God publicly through the preaching of the Word, public prayer, and public praise. Public worship is just as important as private worship. It is so important that Christ Himself gives the promise of His special presence and blessing only to public worship. "Where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20). One who says, "I don't need to worship God publicly, I can worship just as well on my own," is nothing more than a religious hypocrite. One who does not worship God publicly in reality does not worship God privately either. Public worship, the coming together as a church to hear the Gospel preached, is of utmost importance to the child of God. If a person can willingly and habitually absent himself from public worship, one of two things is true:
(1) He is in a serious, spiritually sick condition. When one is physically sick he loses his appetite for food. When one is spiritually sick he loses his appetite for the Word preached.
(2) He is lost. The true child of God delights in public worship, because true worship does something for him. True worship will draw us closer to Christ in communion, faith, love and obedience. It shows us Christ, it shuts us up to Christ, and it leaves us looking to Christ. If that is not the case, we have not truly worshiped. God uses public worship to cause us to grow in grace and the knowledge of Christ. It always inspires, increases, and enlarges the faith, submission, and consecration of the believer to Christ. We cannot do without public worship, anymore than we can go without food. ‚Äďcopied *****
WORSHIP CHRIST THE LORD Tune to "O Little Town of Bethlehem" Words by Jim Byrd 1. Sing praises to the Son of God, Who down from heaven came; To save His people from their guilt, From misery and shame. Down from His heav‚Äônly glory The Savior came...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
Jehovah Came in Human Flesh Tune "I Sing the Mighty Power of God" CM/Double Words by Jim Byrd 1. In bondage, guilt and helplessness, Poor wretched sinners lay; Without a ray of hope within, Like sheep we went astray. But God in loving kindness...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
THANKS O LORD TUNE TO COME THOU FOUNT 22.214.171.124. WORDS BY JIM BYRD 1. Thanks O Lord, to Thee we bring Grateful praise for everything; Thanks O Lord for daily bread, By Thy hand we are all fed. Thanks for blessings day by day, For protection on...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
PROPHET, PRIEST AND KING The offices which Christ sustains toward us are such as have been in the highest repute among men. Prophets, priests, and kings have always been accounted worthy of honor. We should give the highest honor to Christ, Who,...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
REJOICE IN THE LORD Tune to "O WORSHIP THE KING" 10.10.11.11. Words by JIM BYRD 1. Rejoice in the Lord, be glad every heart, Our God rules on high His grace to impart; Jehovah is Lord, O how sacred His Name, Bow down at His footstool His glories...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
PRAISE OUR EVERLASTING LORD Tune to "‚ÄėTIS SO SWEET TO TRUST IN JESUS" 126.96.36.199. with Refrain Words by JIM BYRD 1. God in wisdom chose to save us, Praise Him for His sovereign grace; Gave us to the blessed Savior, Son of God, our Hiding-Place....[ abbreviated | read entire ]
Daily Readings - November 2-8 Sunday - John 1-3 Monday - John 4-5 Tuesday - John 6-8 Wednesday- John 9-10 Thursday - John 11-12 Friday - John 13-16 Saturday - John 17-18 ***** ‚ÄúBUT WE SEE JESUS‚ÄĚ (HEBREWS 2:9) How do we ‚Äúsee Jesus?‚ÄĚ...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
Pastor Wayne Boyd will be with us Saturday night at 6 p.m. and then in all of our worship services on Sunday: 9:45 a.m. Bible Class, 10:30 a.m. Worship Service, and 6 p.m. Sunday evening Worship Service. We will live-stream all of our services...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
CHRIST‚ÄôS BLOOD AND RIGHTEOUSNESS Tune to "AM I A SOLDIER OF THE CROSS?" CM Word by JIM BYRD 1. No labor of a sinful man, Can ever save a soul; No work but that of Christ alone, Can make the guilty whole. 2. A holy God demands that we Be free...[ abbreviated | read entire ]
SAVED BY CHRIST ALONE Tune PRAISE THE SAVIOR 188.8.131.52. Words By JIM BYRD 1. By the Lord‚Äôs determination, We were chosen to salvation; What a wondrous ordination, Saved by sovereign grace. 2. Christ accomplished our redemption By His death and...[ abbreviated | read entire ]