1. The giver determines the gift.
- We forget that gifts cannot be merited. When we
treat gifts like wages, we are not going to see
through the gift to the giver.
- We forget that the giver determines the gift.
Giving is at the pleasure of the giver. The giver has
the right and the discretion to determine what it is
that will be given.
2. The giver establishes the value of the gift. When
we forget this, we end up ultimately devaluing the
gift and failing to see the giver behind the gift.
- The first thing that impacts the value of a gift
is how much of himself the giver puts into the gift.
The more personal the gift is from the giver, the
more valuable it is.
- The second thing that impacts the value of the
gift is the cost that the giver pays for it. The more
a giver pays for something, the more the giver values
- The third thing that impacts the value of a gift
is the purpose of the gift.