Homelessness has reached a record-high with more than 170,000 families and individuals experiencing destitution in an increase caused by a doubling of those sleeping rough or in tents, cars and public transport, a study suggests.
The scale of homelessness was 13% higher last year compared to 2012, with an increase seen every year in between, according to the research published on Sunday by charity Crisis.
Our good friends way way... way way South really do find United States interesting. I don't know if anyone would call this exactly a Christian approach to homelessness
Elle Hardy wrote: ...Torres, who was a millionaire by age 23, has used his money to start his own private police force in the historic French Quarter in New Orleans â€” one of several such "vigilante" groups bankrolled by businessmen to spring up in US cities in recent years.... .... "While the Great Recession has ended for Wall Street, it certainly hasn't ended for main street," Mr Tars says.
"Instead of a response to the growing homelessness in our communities â€” which has increased over 40 years since the federal housing budget was halved in the 1980s â€” the response has been that we need to push these 'others' out of view."
The NLCHP's research has shown that it is two to three times more expensive to run the cycle of criminalisation for the homeless than it is to provide housing in the first place....
https://tinyurl.com/y9spjwhv (The millionaires building private police forces in the US: Vigilantes or neighbourhood watch?)
Hmm, there was a link to an article called, the aggressive panhandler inside the above article.
Iâ€™ll tell you why youâ€™re a hypocrite, Jim. Youâ€™re constantly crying over how somebody needs to do something, but you never seem to be willing to be the somebody. I guess in your world, no price is too high to payâ€”as long as youâ€™re not the one who has to pay it.
Just a Guy wrote: My question to a homeless person is... "Do you not have anyone who can help you? Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters? Even extended family? I would find it strange it the ones who love you the most refuse to help you, how will people who don't know you help?
Thanks for your comment and additional thoughts! Like I said, the issue is indeed complicated. Most druggies will lie to and steal from their families with no remorse at all. They prey on those who love them. If you give money to them, they will spend it on drugs. If you feed them, then the money they had for food will be spent on drugs. Only the Lord can deliver them from that evil lifestyle.
My heart aches more for the ones who love them, than for them.
Frank writes: Years ago when I was a working fellow I had to work a major homeless shelter for a day as part of my duties. The lady that was the regional director told me that 95% of the homeless were there by choice and not due to unforeseen circumstances. She said the 95% were druggies, alcoholics or simply didnâ€™t want to work. The remaining 5% were there due to uncontrollable circumstances. But, she admitted that in order to help the 5%, they had to offer help to the 100%. It was impossible to sort them out.
That is my view 100%. We don't live in a country where most people are in poverty...
My question to a homeless person is...
"Do you not have anyone who can help you? Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters? Even extended family? I would find it strange it the ones who love you the most refuse to help you, how will people who don't know you help?
Jim, I tell you what. Tomorrow is Christmas. You open up your own home tonight to as many homeless people as you can fit in it. Feed them tonight, all day tomorrow, and on up until breakfast the day after. Once you have done all that, you can preach to the rest of us, but until you do it you can shut your hypocritical mouth as far as Iâ€™m concerned.
Years ago when I was a working fellow I had to work a major homeless shelter for a day as part of my duties. The lady that was the regional director told me that 95% of the homeless were there by choice and not due to unforeseen circumstances. She said the 95% were druggies, alcoholics or simply didnâ€™t want to work. The remaining 5% were there due to uncontrollable circumstances. But, she admitted that in order to help the 5%, they had to offer help to the 100%. It was impossible to sort them out.
We also watched as many left the shelter with clothing and personal items and sold them on the street and then went into a liquor store that was within sight.
I have a step-son who used to be a policeman. He said it was very common for a homeless person to go into a convenience store, open a beer and simply start drinking it so that he would be arrested. In jail they would get food a bath and medical care if they needed it.
The homeless problem here and throughout the world is very complicated.
Once upon a time in this country, churches were the main providers of support to the poor, including the homeless. That included heavy doses of the Gospel. Then came LBJ's War on Poverty which convinced the populace that only the government could take on so large a task. And many descended into perpetual poverty and a connection to welfare.
Sounds like a reasonable solution, Jim. Once theyâ€™re locked up, theyâ€™re no longer homeless. What the social workers wonâ€™t tell you is that an extremely high percentage of homeless people are homeless because of their own misbehavior and/or demonic influence (akaâ€ťmental health issuesâ€ť) in their lives. The only cure is Jesus, and Jesus is the one solution that no government, including that of the United States, is willing to acknowledge and implement. As with every other problem resulting from sin, the liberal approach is to apply Band Aids where tourniquets are needed.
Now there is a populist / nationalist solution to the problem:
Shaun Walker wrote: Many countries have struggled to deal with the issue of homelessness but Hungary may be the first to put a constitutional ban on living on the streets. From next week, being homeless inÂ HungaryÂ will violate the constitution. .... Misetics said it was pointless to talk about homelessness as purely a law-enforcement issue: â€śIn Hungary there has been a lot of discussion about criminalisation but I am yet to hear a government official talk about any other aspect. You cannot solve homelessness when there is no social safety net and it is almost impossible for someone who become homeless to get out of it. You need social workers, not policemen.â€ť
excerpt from: "Hungary's homeless fear they are Viktor OrbĂˇn's next target"
[ https://tinyurl.com/y7entqny ]
England has bee thinking about homelessness for at least 175 years since this was written, https://youtu.be/_rbgQMtgxAU (Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol (1971 TV Special - HD) (25 Minutes long), and they haven't gotten a good handle on it, yet.