Sign in or signup
Radio Streams
SA Radio
24/7 Radio Stream
VCY America
24/7 Radio Stream

My Favorite Things
Home
NewsSITE
Events | Local | Blogs
New Audio | Video | Clips
Broadcasters
Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Category
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -58 sec
Top Sermons
Daily Log
Photos
Stores
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Sermon DashboardNEW
Members Only

Breaking News Home | All | Religion | Society | Tech | Choice | SA Newsroom
FRONT PAGE  |  3/25/2019
SUNDAY, DEC 25, 2016  |  112 comments
Best News Ever: God With Us
Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name "Immanuel” which translated means, “God with us.”

For Unto Us A Child Is Born
  START  
  Recommended sermons | more..
•  Coming to the Light of Christ • Rev. Armen Thomassian | 12/23/2018
•  A Christmas Question • C. H. Spurgeon | 12/16/2003
•  A Teenager's Christmas • Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson | 12/10/2006
•  For Unto Us A Child Is BornDr. Steven J. Lawson | 12/6/2013

   03/25/19  |  Town demands faith groups adhere to 'sexual orthodoxy'
   03/25/19  |  The Biblical Prophets: Archaeological Evidence? • 1 comments
   03/24/19  |  Conservative United Methodists gearing up for church court... • 6 comments
   03/24/19  |  VP Pence gets ovation at Hispanic evangelical summit • 5 comments
   03/24/19  |  2 Islamic Groups Target Nigerian Christians • 5 comments
MORE RELATED ( RELIGION ) NEWS | MORE..
   03/25/19  |  Trump: 'Total EXONERATION' by Mueller report • 11 comments
   03/23/19  |  Chick-Fil-A Banned From Airport Over ‘Anti-LGBTQ Behavior’ • 24 comments
   03/22/19  |  ISIS caliphate has officially crumbled • 9 comments
   03/22/19  |  Mississippi governor signs heartbeat bill • 1 comments
   03/22/19  |  Kentucky Governor Signs Law Prohibiting Abortions Based on... • 3 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   03/20/19  |  What is The Foundations Conference? • 11 comments
   03/19/19  |  The Foundations Conference NYC 2019
   03/12/19  |  SermonAudio Tip: Clean New Look of Broadcaster Homepages • 5 comments
   03/02/19  |  SermonAudio Tip: New Event Category for Sermon Clips and Other...
   01/07/19  |  SermonAudio Tip: Broadcasters, Earn SA COINS With A Simple... • 3 comments
MORE SPECIAL | MORE..
   03/25/19  |  Trump: 'Total EXONERATION' by Mueller report • 11 comments
   03/25/19  |  Town demands faith groups adhere to 'sexual orthodoxy'
   03/25/19  |  Boy, 12, said to have created nuclear reaction in playroom lab • 4 comments
   03/25/19  |  The Biblical Prophets: Archaeological Evidence? • 1 comments
   03/25/19  |  Utah Governor Signs Bill to Ban Abortions on Babies With Down... • 1 comments
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..
COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 112 user comment(s)
News Item12/28/16 4:44 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Kev wrote:
What comment of B Macs did you get that she was defending Christmas traditions?

Careful reading of comments is always needed. Especially when you start calling them Santa.
Nik ought to be nicked and locked up for telling such porkies.
112

News Item12/28/16 4:01 PM
B McCausland  Find all comments by B McCausland
Nik wrote:
You defend the mass and christmas being a Christian virtue,
(A) Christ was is and never will be Catholic
(B) Mass is taking of the Eucharist , the little cookie in the sun worship symbol the pope carries
(C) it's a symbol of the rememberence of the DEATH of Christ
(D) when you say Merry Christs Mass your actually saying happy Christs death, yet you celebrate his birth?
(E) look in Rev 11:10 and see who made merry and gifts to one another
(FGH...XYZ) you can fill a book with this pagan false worship
Don't justify your perversion by trying to make something ungodly and pagan into something righteous and holy by putting a bit of tinsel over it.
Her 10:2-5 should cover that
Please, it should be helpful if you reread my posts; there was nothing of what you state endorsed in my writings.
The matter in the late posts has centered in proving the early church practice of the mass. Sorry you are randomly mixing up information.
Sad to say, also, that you seem totally misinformed about my position on the matter.

Please, it is civil to refrain from personal insult

111

News Item12/28/16 4:00 PM
Kev | San Diego  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kev
Nik wrote:
B Mc(Santa)Causland
You defend the mass and christmas being a Christian virtue,
(A) Christ was is and never will be Catholic
(B) Mass is taking of the Eucharist , the little cookie in the sun worship symbol the pope carries
(C) it's a symbol of the rememberence of the DEATH of Christ
(D) when you say Merry Christs Mass your actually saying happy Christs death, yet you celebrate his birth?
(E) look in Rev 11:10 and see who made merry and gifts to one another
(FGH...XYZ) you can fill a book with this pagan false worship
Don't justify your perversion by trying to make something ungodly and pagan into something righteous and holy by putting a bit of tinsel over it.
Her 10:2-5 should cover that
Praise the Lord (everyday)
What comment of B Macs did you get that she was defending Christmas traditions?

Careful reading of comments is always needed. Especially when you start calling them Santa.

110

News Item12/28/16 3:55 PM
Nik | Australia  Contact via emailFind all comments by Nik
Jer 10:2-5
109

News Item12/28/16 3:54 PM
Nik | Australia  Contact via emailFind all comments by Nik
B Mc(Santa)Causland
You defend the mass and christmas being a Christian virtue,
(A) Christ was is and never will be Catholic
(B) Mass is taking of the Eucharist , the little cookie in the sun worship symbol the pope carries
(C) it's a symbol of the rememberence of the DEATH of Christ
(D) when you say Merry Christs Mass your actually saying happy Christs death, yet you celebrate his birth?
(E) look in Rev 11:10 and see who made merry and gifts to one another
(FGH...XYZ) you can fill a book with this pagan false worship
Don't justify your perversion by trying to make something ungodly and pagan into something righteous and holy by putting a bit of tinsel over it.
Her 10:2-5 should cover that
Praise the Lord (everyday)
108

News Item12/28/16 3:36 PM
B McCausland  Find all comments by B McCausland
Buckeyes wrote:
1. Woodrow

2. ..light “unity” between the various regional churches

1. Without any presupposed judgement, it needs to be admitted that the Victorians, with their knowledge of ancient languages, ancient mythology, and ready access to other sources had a far better advantage over the modern researcher.

Many of the Victorian writers have been maligned and their works undermined and discarded as not credible, yet their works seemed better researched than our present books are, which quite often are prone to false syllogisms.

If one wishes to know a matter in depth, better not to dismiss their erudition.

However, perhaps it is a pity that Hislop did not document his findings and conclusions in more detail.

_

2. Not really, you may like to examine primary sources of the day: the Celtic Church (Columba's) and the RCC represented by Bede which present many similarities in common.

Their day was plagued with monasticism, indirect prayer to saints and the mystical /'sacrificial'/meritorial offering of the Eucharist by the priesthood

107

News Item12/28/16 2:36 PM
B McCausland  Find all comments by B McCausland
sorry to see wrote:
you view this as true Christianity
The term Christianity was used to describe followers of Christ in a general way, not implying or endorsing any correctness about the particular time.
106

News Item12/28/16 12:06 PM
B McCausland  Find all comments by B McCausland
John UK wrote:
I thought I'd read somewhere that a time came when the RCC decided to hold an extra special mass called Christ's Mass on Dec 25th
All the festivities of the early church were linked to special services called the mass.
As with any other wrong practice of the RC church, an issue goes on for a long time before it cements as a 'dogma', or rule of practice.

Surely History, as any other source of knowledge, needs to be tested by the Word, however, the difficulty is that in this case, bland (bias) statements may misrepresent true facts in general references. This is the reason why one should rely on primary sources to deduce conclusions.

105

News Item12/28/16 11:40 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
B McCausland wrote:
John/UK
Actually historically both are simultaneous
I thought I'd read somewhere that a time came when the RCC decided to hold an extra special mass called Christ's Mass on Dec 25th. Maybe it was duff info.

The answers to the whole issue are best dug out as nuggets from the inerrant word of God, seeing as there are plenty of examples of how God's people go astray when they permit the heathenish practices into the purity of the camp.

104

News Item12/28/16 11:11 AM
B McCausland  Find all comments by B McCausland
Christopher000 wrote:
idolatry being a matter of the heart

John/UK wrote
This puts the mass first and Christmass second.

An idol is nothing but spiritual fellowship happens with the source behind it: devils.

"What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?"

I Cor 10

_

John/UK
Actually historically both are simultaneous

103

News Item12/27/16 8:57 PM
gender does matter  Find all comments by gender does matter
[Removed by Moderator Beta]
102

News Item12/27/16 5:37 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Buckeyes wrote:
@John UK
If Woodrow hadn’t listed the volume and page numbers it would have had to wait ‘till next year! I just so happened to check and see if any library or college may have posted it online, and sure enough there they were! Only took about half an hour with a rather slow internet connection. In answer to your question, yes it does unfortunately appear that Hislop did some serious twisting, jumping, and omiting. Also, considering it was done in the 1880’s there are some errors in his work simply due to the discovery of newer and better evidence. “The Bible is inerrant” On that we can agree whole-heartedly!!
It is a very deep subject TMC, and worthy of exploration. We need to be aware if we are in any way embracing any heathen practices unwittingly. I truly believe the Bible has the answers we need, but they take some grappling with, and I get tired quickly. Anyway, thanks for responding in such a gracious spirit; it is a good testimony.
----------

Thanks Sister B, I'm looking into it. Maybe there is a present day scholar who has gone right into this. I can't help but think that this and other similar issues are associated with a lack of revival in the churches and judgment of God.

101

News Item12/27/16 4:59 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John UK wrote:
Hislop's exaggerations or selective reasoning, merely to bolster an argument, without giving all of the facts?
In this country, paganism was very much a part of the early centuries of the church
Traces of evidence about the substitution of the Druid festivities carried on for the rebirth of the SUN, with the birth of the 'Sun of righteousness':

1. The circle in the Celtic cross placed where the two beams cross

2. Patrick's confession where he calls upon 'Helious' (Sun for Greek)
"while I was sleeping Satan attacked me violently, .. and there fell on top of me as it were, a huge rock,
and not one of my members had any force.
But from whence did it come to me, ignorant
in the spirit, to call upon ‘Helias’?
And meanwhile I saw the sun rising in the sky, and while I was crying out ‘Helias, Helias’ with all my might, lo, the brilliance
of that sun fell upon me and immediately
shook me free of all the weight;
and I believe that I was aided by Christ my Lord"

3. The present ‘round’ wafer which is placed in the RC altar in a brilliant plate of silver, “in the form of the SUN” to be worshiped, which evokes the imaginary of the “SUN”

Hislop was a scholar with insight

100

News Item12/27/16 4:48 PM
Buckeyes | USA  Find all comments by Buckeyes
(TMC) @B. McCausland
If memory serves me right, the period around Columba was one with very light “unity” between the various regional churches and their liturgical methodologies. Church history in that period can be rather rough- what with the RCC trying to bolster their “claim to same” throughout the ages; and a general lack of surviving documentation. The question being asked is: Does the word “Mass” refer to a re- “sacrificing” of Christ. The answer, IMO, is no because it literally means “to send”, came from the dismissal, and preceeded the only objective indicator we have of the widespread adoption of Transubstantiation.
@John UK
If Woodrow hadn’t listed the volume and page numbers it would have had to wait ‘till next year! I just so happened to check and see if any library or college may have posted it online, and sure enough there they were! Only took about half an hour with a rather slow internet connection. In answer to your question, yes it does unfortunately appear that Hislop did some serious twisting, jumping, and omiting. Also, considering it was done in the 1880’s there are some errors in his work simply due to the discovery of newer and better evidence. “The Bible is inerrant” On that we can agree whole-heartedly!!
99

News Item12/27/16 3:47 PM
Christopher000 | Rhode Island  Find all comments by Christopher000
US Wrotw:
"...actually we have a video of her shooting bb's at her neighbors inflatable Santa (it is amazing what you can get from Google Earth), but seeing they fell harmlessly into the yard we aren't telling anybody about it, so please keep it under your hat."

Bad SC! Now you know why Santa dropped that big bag of coal down your chimmney. : )
Popping poor Santa. Horrible.

98

News Item12/27/16 3:42 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Buckeyes wrote:
(TMC
@John UK Sorry about the link, see if this works:
apologetics-notes.comereason.org/2015/12/no-christmas-is-not-based-on-pagan.html
The question about Woodrow is a good one to ask. However, archive.org uploaded Wilkinson’s “Ancient Egytians” in 2015 and I just got done verifying all of Woodrow’s references to it in that article. What he said is true. If you like, I can give you links to the 3 volumes he referenced so you can check for yourself.
Thanks TMC, my word, you've been busy. How do you find the time for all of that?

So your conclusion is that Woodrow is correct about Hislop's exaggerations or selective reasoning, merely to bolster an argument, without giving all of the facts? That is important to deduce, so I thank you.

In this country, paganism was very much a part of the early centuries of the church here. I think we would be horrified if we attended a fellowship in those days by time travel.

I tell you what, for next year's debate, I hope to have studied the heathen infiltration in the OT church, and the Lord's response. That would prove to be profitable, and show how easily the devil "gets in" and ruins the purity of the church of Christ. The Bible is inerrant, thankfully.

97

News Item12/27/16 3:19 PM
Buckeyes | USA  Find all comments by Buckeyes
(TMC) @SC
“I guess that you might be garbed in Ohio State stuff...” Only if they make OSU jumpers or skirts! Seriously, though, you must see that remaining “genderless” makes it rather frusterating for folks on here to refer to you. You are not a plural, so “they” is improper, as is only using “SC” all the time. If “it” was offensive than you really should pick a pronoun that we can use.
@John UK Sorry about the link, see if this works:
apologetics-notes.comereason.org/2015/12/no-christmas-is-not-based-on-pagan.html
The question about Woodrow is a good one to ask. However, archive.org uploaded Wilkinson’s “Ancient Egytians” in 2015 and I just got done verifying all of Woodrow’s references to it in that article. What he said is true. If you like, I can give you links to the 3 volumes he referenced so you can check for yourself.
As to Christmas not being in the Bible- I think one can make a solid case for there being both warrant and example in Scripture for people setting aside special days to celebrate historical providences of God, like Purim. A good modern example in the UK is “Guy Faulk’s Day” and an example on this side of the pond is “Thanksgiving”. Were either of the events these days celebrate greater than the historical event of Christ’s coming?
96

News Item12/27/16 3:13 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
cont.

In the same book many RC practices show in existence at that time, as doing penance, the sign of the cross, indirect prayer to saints, and festivities observed around religious days:

" the synod .. celebrated at once the holy services of the mass of St. Columba and St. Baithene, whose festivals occurred on that day"

The paragraph narrating Columba's death, shows the distinction they made between the Sabbath and the Lord's day:

"During the paschal solemnities in the month of April now past ... while he was celebrating the solemn offices of the Mass as usual on the Lord's day,
and after an interval of six days from that time, .. he departed to the Lord on the night of the Lord's day. In the end, then, of this same week, that is on the day of the Sabbath .."

"This day in the Holy Scriptures is called the Sabbath, which means rest. And this day is indeed a Sabbath to me, for it is the last day of my present laborious life, and on it I rest after the fatigues of my labours; and this night at midnight, which commences the solemn Lord's Day, I shall, according to the sayings of Scripture, go the way of our fathers. For already my Lord Jesus Christ deigns to invite me; and to Him, I say, in the middle of this night shall I depart, at His invitation"

Cont

95

News Item12/27/16 3:00 PM
Just sayin  Find all comments by Just sayin
s c wrote:
--
As far as the "sabbath"- Christ is our Sabbath but many want to follow after the shadows or try to insist that our sabbath day changed. ...another topic
What do you do with the 4th commandment? Ignore it altogether and pretend it was not part of the moral law?

As for something having to be commanded before it being done, assuming that your gender marries, did you marry? If so, was it in church? If so, how do you justify that?

In John 10. 22, 23 we read of Jesus attending the feast of dedication (now know as Hanukkah). Can you please show me where the Jews were commanded to observe this feast?

Also in the law of Moses, the commanded annual day of atonement was observed with fasting. However, other uncommanded fast days were observed in the fourth month, fifth month, seventh month, and tenth month. These added fast days were not unacceptable to the Lord. On the contrary God promised to bless his people in that he would turn these fast days into feast days! (Zech 8.19)

Maybe it's time you start presenting facts instead of your usual ignorant dogmatic assertions?

94

News Item12/27/16 3:00 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
Buckeyes wrote:
Mistletoe
My post aimed to clarify the issue of the 'pagan' roots of the season, of what the mistletoe is an additional clue.

Reading 'The Life of Columba' written about a hundred years after Columba died in 597 AD, by a close successor of his, one can verify that the religious service called the mass existed before if was defined as a dogma in 1215.

The terms by which such religious service is described are sacrifice, consecrate, offices, offered, Eucharist & mysteries, which obviously infer much more than a remembrance:

".. on the Lord's day … a priest celebrated the holy mysteries of the Eucharist .. to perform the solemn offices of the Mass"

"Here is wine ... for the celebration of His mysteries"

On an dispute, a saint is reported saying:
".. the clean mysteries of the holy sacrifice are offered .."

Another narrative continues as
"For next Lord's day, being invited by the saint .. to consecrate the Body of Christ, he asked the saint to join him, that, .. they might break the bread of the Lord together"

Reporting a miracle the book tells:
"This very book lay in the water from the Feast of the Nativity of our Lord till the end of the Paschal season"

http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basis/columba-e.asp
Cont

93
There are a total of 112 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Jump to Page : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 | last
Last PostTotal
VP Pence gets ovation at Hispanic evangelical summit
ladybug: "liberation theology is no more biblical than dominionism - calling one..."
-4 min 
Christian B&B Owner Forced to Serve LGBT Couples After Supreme...
ladybug: "good morning sc i see you are still escaping any blame on projecting it..."
-10 min 40 
Boy, 12, said to have created nuclear reaction in playroom lab
canucklehead: "i made curried lamb one time and set off a few of my own nuclear..."
-14 min 


Bill Parker
Death in Adam-Life in Christ 2

Romans - Bill Parker
Sunday School
Eager Avenue Grace Church
Play! | MP4 | RSS


Dr. James M. Phillips
Myths @ The 2nd Coming

Systematic Theology 2017
Discover The Word With Dr...
Video!Play! | MP4

John Pittman Hey
Our Lord Jesus is No Hireling!

Our Good Shepherd Dies for Us
Grace Bible Church
Play! | MP3

Event: Apr 11-13, 2019
The Life of a Shepherd

"Sanctify them by your truth" John 17:17
Conference
NCFIC

Sponsor:
The wealth of the sinner... PROV 13:22

Ref­ormed church in Reedsb­urg WI [OPC] humbly req­uests help purch­as­ing a Kingdom Hall.
https://reedsburgchurch.org..

Sermon: The Ecclesiastical Evolution
Dr. James M. Phillips

SPONSOR | 12,900+

SPONSOR




                   
Sins are so remitted as if they had never been committed. ... Thomas Adams


Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal

MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
Church App
Watch
Android
Church App
Fire Tablet
Wear
Chromecast TV
Apple TV
Android TV
ROKU TV
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Echo
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts
2-MINUTE TIPS

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
SA Newsroom New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES
Sermon Dashboard | Info
Church Finder | Info
Sermon Player | Video
Mobile & Apps
Podcasting | Videos
Live Webcasting
Listen Line
Events Support
Transcription | PowerClips
Billboards
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domain
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Embed Codes
Goodies
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BW
JSON API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Auto-Upload Sermons
Upload via FTP
Upload via Dropbox
Picasa
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Earn SA COINS! New!
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Privacy Policy | Support Us | Stories