Sign in or signup
Radio Streams
SA Radio
24/7 Radio Stream
VCY America
24/7 Radio Stream

My Favorite Things
Home
NewsSITE
Events | Local | Blogs
New Audio | Video | Clips
Broadcasters
Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Category
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -54 sec
Top Sermons
Daily Log
Photos
Stores
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Sermon DashboardNEW
Members Only

Breaking News Home | All | Religion | Society | Tech | Choice | SA Newsroom
FRONT PAGE  |  9/20/2019
Choice News TUESDAY, DEC 22, 2009  |  37 comments
Scotland star Euan Murray explains why he won't play rugby for Scotland on Sundays


Euan Murray

There's a wonderful testimony by Euan Murray available here on SermonAudio.com where he explains how he was saved and touches on the Sunday issue in a Q&A session after. Click here to listen to the testimonial.

SCOTS rugby international Euan Murray has spoken for the first time about why his faith led him to quit playing on Sundays.

The 29-year-old has told how he even snubs coffee or dinner invitations on the Sabbath as he does not want to "encourage other people to work".

Euan said: "It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it?

"I might as well tear out that page then keep tearing out pages as and when it suits me. If I started out like that there would soon be nothing left."


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Why did Sabbath Day change?
  START  
  Recommended sermons | more..
•  Why did Sabbath Day change?Dr. Alan Cairns | 4/13/2009
•  An Afternoon With Euan Murray • Euan Murray | 11/23/2008
•  Sabbath Day, Not Sabbaths • Dr. Alan Cairns | 4/6/1997
•  Lord's Day - Biblical doctrine • Rev Malcolm Watts | 10/1/2005

   09/19/19  |  Former Planned Parenthood President Speaks Out against the... • 2 comments
   09/19/19  |  OB/GYN confirms awful truth to Congress: Babies left to die • 3 comments
   09/18/19  |  China makes churches replace Ten Commandments with Xi Jinping... • 5 comments
   09/17/19  |  SermonAudio Tip: Enjoy Lamplighter Theatre on SermonAudio! • 1 comments
   09/17/19  |  Democrats Unanimous Forcing Schools To Let Male Athletes Compete... • 20 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 37 user comment(s)
News Item1/4/10 2:49 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
So, Saturday is the Sabbath? If you are a Jew, you can observe it. No, the Romish Church didn't change it John Y., is right on that one, they couldn't change it, but then Christians are only subject to the Nine (9) Commandments and not the one about the Sabbath!

Gil Rugh said or, wrote:
Nowhere in the Old Testament is there any word that the Gentile nations ought to observe the sabbath , or keep the law. It was for the nation Israel. People come presenting supposed truth that will help us be more godly and will stem the tide of decadence around us. These are subtle forms to corrupt the sufficiency of Christ and His work accomplished in our lives.
[URL=http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?currSection=sermonssource&sermonID=92402115618]]]Legalism is Shadow, Christ is Substance[/URL]

Colossians 2
16 Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.---[URL=http://www.lockman.org/nasb/nasbcmp.php]]]NASB[/URL]

37

News Item12/31/09 9:24 AM
jc  Find all comments by jc
john yurich.The Catholic Church admits that they changed the day. “The Christian world observes Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 364), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50, 3rd edition, 1957. So show me where the apostles changed the day. I would suggest you read my earlier posts first.
To say that I am in league with satan is very judgemental, but that is your opinion and I will not hold that against you.

Thank you ERINE for your blessing.

36

News Item12/31/09 7:39 AM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
jc wrote:
the reason why the day was changed is written down in history by the catholic church. the RCC changed the day to a Sunday and all who keep Sunday sabbath bow to the RCC.I hear so many different excuses to explain away why they keep Sunday sabbath and the simple reason is the RCC changed it and most of the world keep it.
There is no evidence in church history that the RCC changed the day for weekly worship from Saturday to Sunday. After Jesus Resurrection the Apostles changed from worshipping on Saturday to Sunday. Jesus Resurrection took place on Sunday and Pentecost(Outpouring of the Holy Spirit) took place on Sunday. Therefore not only did Jesus do away with observing the Sabbath but so did the Holy Spirit. Only someone who is in league with Satan would continue to observe the old Jewish Sabbath.
35

News Item12/31/09 4:34 AM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
jc,

Your last comment made you sound like a very wise man the way you closed it. God has blessed you with wisdom if you have left the RCC as that takes the work of the Holy Spirit to have the courage come out of that church.

Phi 2:3 "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other, better than themselves."

The reason we are to do this is because I know what I have done in my life and I am a sinner who deserves to go to hell, but I am saved by Grace. Since I don't know what you have done, I am to esteem you higher than myself.

I am sorry I came across as annoyed but there are other days like Easter that was once a pagan holiday, etc. so you get too hung up on trival things, you can easily forget the more important thing which is putting Jesus Christ #1 and worshipping Him.

May God bless you with good health to serve Him better as you witness and share the Gospel with other Catholics.

34

News Item12/30/09 3:18 PM
jc  Find all comments by jc
Erine,I am not scorner nor do I mock at religilion, I am just stating facts, that you seem to be getting anoyed about.I spent many years in the RCC and did not like the truth when I first heard it. I thought we were going to reason together over this subject. So may God bless you in all you do JC
33

News Item12/30/09 2:12 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
"1)Reprove not a 2)scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee. (Defined KJV)

1) rebuke, censure; Obs refute, disprove; convince, convict

2) one who scorns, derides, or mocks; esp one who scoffs at religion.

32

News Item12/30/09 1:35 PM
jc  Find all comments by jc
Erine, I am not a SDA, I am a bible beliving Christian who letf the RCC. To meet or preach on the 1st day does not justify that the day was changed. Jesus didn’t rise on the first day to hallow it or to change the Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day; He rose on that day because it was the feast of first fruits of whom he was the first.Jesus rose on the feast of first fruits, which happened to be on the first day of the week that year. It changes according to whatever day Passover {Nisan 14} falls on; So it falls on a different day every year, like christmas day. The 7th day Sabbath was kept up untill 321Ad when Constantine changed it with his first sunday law decree.Here is what the church historian, Socrates, who died in A.D. 440, wrote nearly a hundred years after Constantine's Sunday Law Decree was issued:
"Although almost all churches through the world celebrate the sacred mysteries on the Sabbath week, yet the Christians of Alexandria and at Rome, on account of some ancient tradition,[Sun worship on the 1st day] have ceased to do this."--Socrates, Ecclesiastical History, Books, chapter 22.
People cannot "cease" to do what they have never done, and so we can know that even at Rome and Alexandria the Bible Sabbath was once kept in earlier centuries.
31

News Item12/30/09 12:19 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
jc,

It is quite evident you are under the Law and not under Grace as well as a scorner if you continue to make your argument for keeping the Sabbath Day on Saturday.

If Jesus met with the disciples on the first day of the week after he arose where they were gathered and the disciples were STILL meeting on the first day of the week when Paul preached to them, then only a Seventh Day Adventists such as yourself would try to make some kind of weak argument that they needed more evidence.

If you are not a Seventh Day Adventist, then try reading Ellen White's teaching on other doctrine like "Soul Sleep". That way you won't have just part of their belief!

30

News Item12/30/09 5:18 AM
jc ireland  Find all comments by jc ireland
Jesus is the first fruits {1cor: 15:20-23} and then us, He is the first born among many {Romans 8:29} the first born over all creation {Col 1:15}. He didn’t rise on the first day to hallow it or to change the Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day; He rose on that day because it was the feast of first fruits of whom he was the first. If there was a change of such great significance would there not be a clear non-debatable scripture to clarify it stating where when and by whom.

Acts 20:7, breaking bread on the first day. Acts 2:46 says they broke bread daily,
Jesus rose on the 1st day, Luke 24: 1,2, &3. It is said that Jesus hallowed this day because He rose on it and it then became the New Testament Sabbath. This day was already made holy by God, as it was the feast of first fruits and that’s why He rose on it.
One has to remember that a day started at dusk, so Jesus could have rose on Saturday evening which was the start of the first day.

29

News Item12/29/09 12:53 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
Let's see if we can reason this together.These verses found in the Bible in the NT all say the same thing, that Jesus rose on the "first day" of the week, Mat 28:1, Mark 16:2,9, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1. So there shouldn't be much argument there.

Then in John 20:19, it says plainly that Jesus met with the disciples

Then the same day at evening, being the "first day" of the week, when the doors were shut where the disiciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, "Peace be unto you".

So if Jesus met with the disciples on the evening of first day of the week after he had just arose from the grave, It doesn't seem like the Catholics got that wrong to do likewise.

And then the Bible also says that Paul preached to the disciples on the "first day" of the week in Acts 20:7,

And upon the "first day" of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow, and continued his speech until midnight.

So now the Bible confirms that the disciples met and came together to break bread on the "first day" and were preached to. If it was good enough for them to meet on the first day and be preached to, shouldn't that be good enough for us all to assemble, jc?

28

News Item12/29/09 8:26 AM
jc | ireland  Find all comments by jc
Col 2:16 so let no one judge you in food or in drink or regarding a feast day or a new moon or Sabbaths. This instruction was necessary at this time of transition from the old covenant to the new. Many Jewish Christians continued to keep the old covenant feast days, even though they didn’t have to. Paul is warning the Colossians not against the observances of these practices as such, but against "anyone" who passes judgment on how to eat, to drink, and to observe sacred times. Note should be taken of the fact that the judge who passes judgment is not Paul but Colossian false teachers who impose "regulations" (2:20) on how to observe these practices.
27

News Item12/28/09 2:57 PM
Deeper  Find all comments by Deeper
Jim Lincoln wrote:
Scofield 1917 Notes wrote:
sabbath
(1) The sabbath ("cessation") appears in Scripture as the day of God's rest in the finished work of creation. ge 2:2,3. For 2500 years of human life absolutely no mention....
Jim
I'm very worried about your religious affiliations.
First you quote from this NASB which includes the work of the Anglican heretics Westcott and Hort.

NOW you quote from the criminal forger Scofield, who did not support his first (catholic) wife and family, leaving them to fend for themselves, and even stole money from his mother in law.

26

News Item12/28/09 2:20 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Colossians 2
16 Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.---[URL=http://www.lockman.org/nasb/nasbcmp.php]]]NASB[/URL].
Scofield 1917 Notes wrote:
sabbath
(1) The sabbath ("cessation") appears in Scripture as the day of God's rest in the finished work of creation. ge 2:2,3. For 2500 years of human life absolutely no mention is made of it. Then the sabbath was revealed ; ex 16:23; ne 9:13,14, made a part of the law ex 20:8-11 and invested with the character of a "sign" between Jehovah and Israel, and a perpetual reminder to Israel of their separation to God ex 31:13-17.... the seventh day sabbath was never made a day of sacrifice, worship, or any manner of religious service. It was simply and only a day of complete rest for man and beast, a humane provision for man's needs. In Christ's words, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." mr 2:27.
[URL=http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?currSection=sermonssource&sermonID=92402115618]]]Legalism is Shadow, Christ is Substance[/URL]
25

News Item12/28/09 12:19 PM
jc | ireland  Find all comments by jc
the reason why the day was changed is written down in history by the catholic church. the RCC changed the day to a Sunday and all who keep Sunday sabbath bow to the RCC.I hear so many different excuses to explain away why they keep Sunday sabbath and the simple reason is the RCC changed it and most of the world keep it.
24

News Item12/25/09 3:43 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
Con't

The 10 commandments are still very much in effect, and Jesus himself said that he hadn't come to abolish the law but fulfil it.

Those Christians who do play sport on a Sunday are not living in complete accordance with the Bible, whether you believe the Bible or not. They're also not getting the full benefit of a proper day of rest, which is essentially what the Sabbath is. God knows us better than we know ourselves and provided 1 day in 7 for our rest. No wonder people drive themselves into the ground working 7 days a week...

Several sports stars have refused to break the Sabbath. In rugby the most recent example was Michael Jones, the New Zealand flanker who could have earned many more caps had he been prepared to turn out on Sundays.

And Scotland rugby winger and Olympic sprinter Eric Liddell ruled himself out of the 100 metere at the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924 for the same reason.
He won gold in the 400meters, his story subsequently being immortalised in the Oscar-winning film Chariots Of Fire.

Euan Murray also has a 61 minute testimony that can be heard on SA. May I kindly suggest that before you make any more negative remarks about him or others like him, to please give a listen. I believe if you do, you will be a better person for it.

23

News Item12/25/09 2:34 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
Here are a couple of comments concerning the Sabbath from the news article

Revvy wrote:
Mt 12:12 -

"How much more valuable is a human being than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the sabbath." (the words of Jesus according to Matthew.)

I would have thought turning out for Scotland at rugby and giving pleasure to thousands of people by using one's God given talents would be seen as doing good on the Sabbath. A Bible Study with Euan Murray would be an interesting experience. Since when were the 10 Commandments a body of law designed for a nomadic tribe with no legal structure suddenly become the commanmdments of Jesus. I don't wish to deny Euan's right to follow his conscience but I think his theology should be challenged. By implication those Christians who do play sport on a Sunday are they somewhat not quite the full monty?

KingLaudrup replied:

Revvy - it is absolutely lawful to do good on the Sabbath...but not at the expense of the overriding principle - keeping the Sabbath day holy (i.e. set apart). If Euan was to play on Sundays, he'd really be treating it like it was another Saturday, which it patently isn't.

As for the 10 commandments - you need to read Galatians to understand the applicability of Old Testament law nowadays.

(To be con't)

22

News Item12/25/09 2:30 PM
Steamroller | Canada  Contact via emailFind all comments by Steamroller
Thank God for another Scottish Christian in the line of Eric Liddel! the man who would not run in the Olympics on Sunday ( see movie "Chariots of Fire).

We transplanted Scots are proud to be Scots when we hear of the likes of men like these.

21

News Item12/25/09 1:05 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
Now we have John Y giving me his comment about what the Sabbath day really is, etc. Yes, John, I should have said the "Lord's day" because the disciples met on the first day of the week.

But I have no respect for you or your comments because of your stuborness to leave the Roman Catholic Church after hundreds of others posting here have told you to do so. If there was an ignore feature on SA, you and Jim Lincoln would be on it. I have abolutely NO respect for anything you have to say, and I never usually bother to read whatever you have commented on. You are usually just saying such and such is "psychotic" and it has been said that the thing you are criticizing is the same thing you are guilty of.

You are not always in error, because even a broken clock is right twice a day, but people like yourself who are unteachable are not worth wasting any time on. So no matter what your comment will be, I am thru addressing you again.

20

News Item12/25/09 12:32 PM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
ErnieG wrote:
Nothing any professing Christian ever does to honor Jesus Christ and glorify God will be something that they will ever be ashamed of which includes keeping the sabbath day holy.
Merry Christmas to all!
Sunday is not the Sabbath. Sunday is the Lord's Day. Saturday is the Sabbath. It is a fallacy to believe that Sunday is the Sabbath. And Christians are not even supposed to be observing the old Jewish Sabbath because Jesus Death and Resurrection did away with the Sabbath. Perhaps if Evangelical Protestant Churches had Saturday Vigil services which would be considered to be Sunday worship services then Evangelical Protestants who have to work on Sunday would not have to miss church. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
19

News Item12/25/09 12:11 PM
ErnieG  Find all comments by ErnieG
It is no easy thing to hold our profession of faith steady in this day and age by just attending church on Sunday. Because once you drop OUT, it is not as easy to drop IN. The excuse about having to work to support the family or self are used without thinking that it is God who has given us the breath of of life and at any time it can be taken from us.

Nothing any professing Christian ever does to honor Jesus Christ and glorify God will be something that they will ever be ashamed of which includes keeping the sabbath day holy. Just as this young athletle said, you can't pick and chose which part of the bible you agree with.

I am in full agreement with wake up commenting here praising God for His Grace in this young man's life, and I am also thankful for the convictions and stand of this athlete, Euan Murray, and I salute him just like Frank Dombrosky.

No one knows except God what kind of impact his testimony will have on others regarding working on Sunday. My prayer is that I could have 1/1,000,000 of that kind of effect on others who are unsure that working on Sunday is not acceptable behavior to God and who profess to love the Lord.

Merry Christmas to all!

18
There are a total of 37 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Jump to Page : [1] 2 | last
Last PostTotal
SermonAudio Tip: Show Latest Sermon Preached On Your Own Site!
flanagan6415 from 14301 industrial ave n maple h: "you can get the best service of..."
-40 min 
SermonAudio Tip: SermonAudio Channel v3.0 for the Roku TV...
silversingles from united states: "his is extremely helpful info!!thank you for..."
-1 hrs 71 
NBC News Asks Americans To Confess Their Climate Change Sins
the quiet christian: "i've suggested before that progressives want to shame others..."
-2 hrs 


Don Green
Moralistic Therapeutic Deism

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism
Midweek Service
Truth Community Church
Play! | MP4 | RSS

Beware the flatterer
Shane Stegemann

Drew McKeown
Restoring the Hopeless:..

Fearless in Faith
Drew McKeown
Play! | MP3

Rev. Arnoud T. Vergunst
Marriage Enrichment (6) The..

Marriage Enrichment
Netherlands Reformed
Transcript!Play! | MP3

Kevin Swanson
Warnings About Public Schools

Finally Time to Get Them Out?
Generations Radio
Play! | MP3

Sermon: Jesus Is Able To Save Even You
E. A. Johnston

SPONSOR | 4,700+

SPONSOR




                   
In heaven is no warfare but all well-fare. ... John Boys


Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal

MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
Church App
Watch
Android
Church App
Fire Tablet
Wear
Chromecast TV
Apple TV
Android TV
ROKU TV
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Echo
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts
2-MINUTE TIPS

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
SA Newsroom New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES
Sermon Dashboard | Info
Audio | Video | Podcast
Sermon Player | Video
Church Finder | Info
Mobile & Apps
Live Webcasting
Listen Line
Events Support
Transcription | PowerClips
Billboards
Business Cards
SOLO Sites
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Embed Codes
Goodies
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BLB
JSON API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Auto-Upload Sermons
Upload via FTP
Upload via Dropbox
Picasa
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Earn SA COINS!
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Privacy Policy | Support Us | Stories