Unhappy people glue themselves to television, survey finds
Unhappy people glue themselves to the television 30 percent more than happy people.
The finding, announced on Thursday, comes from a survey of nearly 30,000 American adults conducted between 1975 and 2006 as part of the General Social Survey.
While happy people reported watching an average of 19 hours of television per week, unhappy people reported 25 hours a week. The results held even after taking into account education, income, age and marital status.
In addition, happy individuals were more socially active, attended more religious services, voted more and read a newspaper more often than their less-chipper counterparts....
If you find yourself a shut in and you are stuck with the TV here are some suggestions.
- I used to play a game where I would meditate on the ten commandments and would watch to see what ones would be broken.
- Pray for the people on the reality shows, pray for actors, pray for people who were watching the same show, pray for the writers of the shows.
- You can watch the news and pray for families who have lost loved ones and pray about all the circumstances that they present such as missing persons.
- Pray that you may not be led into temptation.
- I noticed a lot that Bible verses are worked into the script. The writer wants a character to say something profound and I noticed that they would often use bible verses on a secular type show. I would then pray that that God would sink His Word into people's hearts, even though they didn't know it was God's word.
- Stay away from anything that is causing temptation.
- When watching nature shows or science shows pray for those who are pushing evolution and children who are watching the show.
- O yes and pray for the broadcasters and media, that they would be repent and be saved.
A functional fridge, car, and a wage-slave job actually make some people unhappy.
"The most insidious of the many kinds of power is the power to define happiness. It is the dream of merchants, despots, managers, and philosophers, because whoever defines happiness can control the organization and the actions of other men: he not only assigns aspirations and desires, he constructs the system of morals by which the means of achieving happiness is judged." from "The Oppressed Middle", by Earl Shorris, quoted in the book below.
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Work-Ethic-Puritan-Corporate/dp/1856498859/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222486314&sr=8-16]]]Selling the Work Ethic:[/URL] From Puritan Pulpit to Corporate PR
The Joy of the Lord is My strength. Happy is usually if your fridge is working, the car is working. you are working...hmmm, could be a lot of unhappiness right now. My wife & 2 children are out of work but we still praise the Lord IN all things. (not for all things)
I wonder if tHey includEd as TV watching the time spent using the TV for video games and watching DVDs. I know many have Given up on going to the movies when you cAn get the DVD Six months later at Your local public library. Now thE library is offering downloading movies over the InterNet.