Radio Streams
SA Radio
24/7 Radio Stream
VCY America
24/7 Radio Stream

My Favorite Things
Home
NewsroomALL
Events | Notices | Blogs
Newest Audio | Video | Clips
Broadcasters
Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Category
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Language
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -17 sec
Top Sermons
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
About | $1 Signup!
Broadcaster Dashboard
Members Only

 
USER COMMENTS BY “ UNPROFITABLE SERVANT ”
Page 1 | Page 7 ·  Found: 500 user comments posted recently.
News Item4/24/2020 6:19 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
34
comments
B. McCausland wrote:
Some Americans treat their constitution as if were the Bible itself.
Thank you sister BMacCausland, a statement with which we both agree. It would be a terrible mistake on one’s part to think that the U.S. legal system as expressed in the Constitution has equal footing with the Holy Word of God.

Just wondering, in this thread was there a specific comment that raised this red flag for you and caused you to share your concern or were you words just a generic warning of something that needs to be avoided at all cost?

Thanks for your response


News Item4/23/2020 9:59 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
My response to QC was to avoid unnecessary repetition of what had been already stated.\\

BMcCausland. 4/22/2020 12:26 PM

John, amother description parallel to the stauros is the 'tree', which comes with another Greek term, xylon, meaning a wooden pole as in,
"... When they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre."
The crucifixion mode might be considered as the Roman version of the death penalty by hanging on a stake described in the OT.
BMcCausland. 4/18/2020 8:47 a.m.

However, every time the word crucified, or even cross, appears in NT the corresponding Greek term is stauros, a pole, and the idea is to impale
BMcCausland 4/1/2020 6:47 a.m.

Vines Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words says:
"STAUROS....denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake.
John UK 4/20/2020 2:42 a.m.

You are calling it a cross. I am calling it a stauros (pole, stake).
John UK 4/18/2020 4:46 p.m.

But stauros actually means 'pole' or 'stake'.
John UK 4/18/2020 12:04 p.m.

Seems like we have a double standard here(or one might say a moving of the post), Sister B, which goes again to prove the truth of what I have shared.


News Item4/23/2020 8:57 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
Sister BMcCausland

I point out your own thinking

The true issue is integrity of thought and reasoning which follows after valid patterns of logic, without guile, misrepresentation, wrong assumptions, or twisted presumptions.4/22/2020 11:32 AM
B. McCausland 

(this is saying that your thoughts, reasoning, logic , etc is correct while others who don't share your views, are inaccurate)

And what. you practice

My response to QC was to avoid unnecessary repetition of what had been already stated.
4/22/2020 12:26 PM
B. McCausland

(Who are you to say what a person should or should not post and whether is is worthwhile?)

And because I point this out I am being insulting and shameful? You can say that I and others have poor patterns of logic, twisted thinking, have guile in our posts, don't understand, use misrepresentations, etc and that somehow is not insulting but to point out that is what you do is?


News Item4/22/2020 10:36 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
B. McCausland wrote:
Good insight.
US
Please, use valid logic in interpreting intend. My response to QC was to avoid unnecessary repetition of what had been already stated.
People like yourself relying on internet sources heavily to defend presuposed assumptions without practical insight of correlating issues of history, tend to err at the expence of biblical truth.
Only Scriptures can be depended upon without error and that only of its original underlying uncorrupted texts.
BMcCausland you obviously believe you have superior intellect and reasoning abilities and your are more than welcome to that viewpoint. I would certainly agree that you have a very good intellect. As usual when you cannot refute a point you state that those (in this case me) have issues with logic, facts, and conclusions. Thus saying that because you are you, you are correct and others are incorrect. It's a pattern with which I am all too familiar. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Have a good day.

News Item4/22/2020 10:02 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
34
comments
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, +++or prohibiting the free exercise thereof+++; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; +++or the right of the people peaceably to assemble+++, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

wonder what Constitution these judges and Jim from Lincoln are reading?


News Item4/21/2020 1:16 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
John, my misunderstanding and my apologies

News Item4/21/2020 10:15 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
John UK wrote:
Bro US, you're doing it again.
I have to go out on my prayer walk just now, but if you would care to show me where I said that the cross was an invention of the RCC, I will consider your statement, and if necessary, apologise.
Your 4/19/2020 5:22 PM post and you seem to be implying, my apologies if I am wrong, that the reason that "deception" of a cross instead of a pole is due to the Christians adopting the views of the RCC.

News Item4/21/2020 9:29 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
When John persists the cross was an invention of the RCC when it can proved it isn’t is that not moving the goal post?

When John UK says people think the way they do because they believe that they’re ok, their church is ok, their worship is ok, etc when it has nothing to do with the subject at hand, is that not moving the goal posts?

When sister B answer to QC is to discredit him by saying “Perhaps you should re-read the posts below and read history broadly rather than depend on private understanding or on a single opinionated source” is that not moving the goal post?

When Adriel says Christians think taking up cross means walking around with a plank of wood in tow and he has probably never met anyone who told him that, is that not moving the goal post?

When it said you cannot count on history, archaeology and quotes from people who were born in the first century then it looks to me as if we are moving the goal posts simply because it doesn't agree with our thinking.

Folks if we going to offer criticism of others we more than likely should start by looking at ourselves first.


News Item4/20/2020 4:40 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
Could you please elaborate Adriel on what group of Christians think that? I never met one and the only people I have read about doing such a thing neither one of us would say they are Christians

News Item4/20/2020 6:09 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
Thanks John for your response. I have a great deal of respect for Vines.

I must say that history, archaeology, and the following previously cited quote that cannot be said it was just someone mistranslating it with their understanding and that was said by a person who died long before the 3rd century began means that Vines is expressing his opinion

Pseudo-Barnabas, A.D. 80 - 130
You have Jesus [the first two letters of Jesus in Greek, which is Iesous). And because the cross was to express grace by the letter Τ (tao), he says also, "Three Hundred." He signifies, therefore, Jesus by two letters, and the cross by one (tao, shaped like a cross).

Finally, my brother, where in my post did I castigate you for not answering my questions I posted 4/19/2020 8:02 PM. ?

I do find it interesting that no one can say why saying it is a cross and not a pole is somehow dubious and leading Christians astray.


News Item4/19/2020 8:02 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
Thank you John for taking time to respond, hope you had a good night’s rest.

Your assumption is that the reason we have a cross is due to the RCC, I do not think your are correct in your thinking as the language precedes it. You asked did you get what the cross looked like from say pictures. Yes John, we use pictures. the Bible speaks of things we see in pictures. It talks about the serpent, probably something you knew what it looked like from pictures before you experience it in real life. We are visual people. The list of examples go gone on and on.

We certainly use history to enhance our understanding of Scriptures. Are you saying we should not?

Does your fellowship practice foot washing? More than likely not because we understand in that day the few roads that were available were dirt and shoes as we know it did not exist, so it was customary to wash people’s feet. Thus we understand the words Christ said to Peter apply to us, our sins have been cleansed by His blood but we need daily cleansing from the filth of the world the flesh and the devil.

Satan is trying to deceive us by saying a stake is a cross. Not sure how a cross is a counterfeit that distorts the truth, maybe you can elaborate. Thanks


News Item4/19/2020 4:47 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
Still more evidence that y’alls view doesn’t have any historical/archaelogical backing

(with the possible exception of the use of ropes also)

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/crucifixion/jesus-and-the-cross/

See also

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/crucifixion/roman-crucifixion-methods-reveal-the-history-of-crucifixion/

https://www.bible.ca/d-history-archeology-crucifixion-cross.htm

A look at the Pagan Christianity book

http://www.tektonics.org/books/violarvw01.php

Nevertheless, my question has not been answered.

Why do you think the “church” decided to change it from a stake to a cross, what would their motivation be?


News Item4/19/2020 1:37 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
First, from my 4/16/2020 9:25 AM post

"so while it could mean pole it also had different meanings, not uncommon with Greek words"

So I was by no means trying to be deceptive.


So to you and those who hold your view. Why do you think the “church” decided to change it from a stake to a cross, what would their motivation be? There are several statements using the word cross long before Constantine and/or the Catholic “church”.

Clement of Alexandria, c. A.D. 190
We have as a limit the cross of the Lord, by which we are fenced and hedged about from our former sins. Therefore, being regenerated, let us fix ourselves to it in truth, and return to sobriety, and sanctify ourselves. (The Instructor III:12)

Pseudo-Barnabas, A.D. 80 - 130
You have Jesus [the first two letters of Jesus in Greek, which is Iesous). And because the cross was to express grace by the letter Τ (tao), he says also, "Three Hundred." He signifies, therefore, Jesus by two letters, and the cross by one (tao, shaped like a cross).

Clement of Alexandria, c. A.D. 190
We have as a limit the cross of the Lord, by which we are fenced and hedged about from our former sins. Therefore, being regenerated, let us fix ourselves to it in truth, and return to sobriety, and sanctify ourselves


News Item4/19/2020 12:38 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
For your consideration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stauros


News Item4/19/2020 11:44 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
John, if I gave come across as saying you shouldn’t hold to your understanding in this matter, my apologies. My issue would be that you are trying to bind the conscience of other believers to your thinking when not only is it not dogmatic in the Scriptures but history (not just church but secular historians who have studied this period of time) argues against your understanding

News Item4/19/2020 9:11 AM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
John UK wrote:
Bro US, you are being economical with the truth making a bold statement like that. Naughty naughty.
.
First you ask for sources, so I gave you some Then you say I am making a "bad statement"

G4716 (Strong)

σταυρός

stauros

stow-ros'

From the base of G2476; a stake or post (as set upright), that is, (specifically) a pole*** or cross ***(as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively exposure to death, that is, self denial; by implication the atonement of Christ: - cross.

But I do agree the cross is an invention of man.


News Item4/18/2020 10:18 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
12
comments
Jim Lincoln wrote:
, so why not supply you and good why not supply you and others a good source a material
:
Have you changed what you've been doing for over a decade and decided to give us information from a good source? Probably not still using bad liberal sources with misleading information.

Remember folks, for the most part if you want accurate information, read Jim's sources and the opposite of what they write will be where you will find the truth.


News Item4/18/2020 6:01 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
John UK wrote:
Far too much doctrine has been arrived at through watching religious films rather than lengthy study of scriptures.
Is that not right, St James?
...
Sory if I a missing your point. We should have a good understanding of what a cross is and for what purpose it was used.

We are told to take up our cross daily and Paul said God forbid that I should glory except in the cross of Christ Paul talked about the offense of the cross and enemies of Christianity are called enemies of the cross of Christ. We are said to have made peace with God through the blood of His cross where He nailed the handwriting of ordinances that was against us.

We would all do well spend much time meditating upon the cross and the events that happened there. It will help. us not to trample under foot the precious blood of the covenant and do despite unto the Spirit of Grace.

John, history says your thinking on this is inaccurate but you can have the last word.


News Item4/18/2020 5:23 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
(3) the ordinary Roman cross †, Cruz immissa. Our Lord suffered on the third description, the Roman cross. This consisted of two pieces, the one perpendicular (staticulum), the other horizontal (antenna). About the middle of the first was fastened a piece of wood (sedile), on which the condemned rested. This was necessary, else, during the long torture, the weight of the body would have torn the hands, and the body would have fallen. The cross was not very high, scarcely twice the height of an ordinary man. Strong nails were driven through the hands and feet

News Item4/18/2020 5:23 PM
Unprofitable Servant | TN  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
115
comments
The Cross was not carried in the manner with which pictures have made us familiar, but either in two separate pieces—the body of the cross (staticulum) and its transom (antenna); or by tying these two pieces together in the shape of a V (furca). The Cross was certainly not the crux decussata (X) or St Andrew’s Cross; nor the crux commissa (T St Anthony’s Cross); but the ordinary Roman Cross (crux immissa. See Matthew 27:37 https://biblehub.com/matthew/27-37.htm ). The Hebrew word for Cross is the letter Thau (Ezekiel 9:4 https://biblehub.com/ezekiel/9-4.htm ), which gave abundant opportunities for the allegorising tendency of the Fathers. On the body of the Cross was certainly a projecting piece of wood (πῆγμα, sedile) to support the sufferer, but there was no suppedaneum or rest for the feet; and from Luke 24:39 https://biblehub.com/luke/24-39.htm it seems certain that one nail (if not two) was driven through the feet. Nothing could exceed the agony caused by this
Jump to Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 more


Robert Rubino
John Piper Made Trump!

Election 2020
Sunday Service
Fellowship Baptist Church
Play! | MP4 | RSS


Tech Talk Zoom // Episode 05

Dr. James M. Phillips
#185 Hell Awaits These Sinners

Systematic Theology 2017
Discover The Word With Dr...
Video!Play! | MP4

Bob Vincent
Is not His Mother Mary?

Sermons by Bob and Others
Sunday Service
Play! | MP3

John Pittman Hey
Beware the Big Talkers

Only Christ's Promises Count
Grace Bible Church
Play! | MP3

Sponsor:
60% Off Thom Rainer’s Course Bundles

Cyber Week Sale – Save Hundr­eds on Bests­ell­ing Video Courses for Church Lead­ers
https://churchanswers.com/c..

Sermon:
Election Sermon 2020
Kevin Swanson

SPONSOR | 12,800+

SPONSOR




SA UPDATES NEWSLETTER Sign up for a weekly dose of personal thoughts along with interesting content updates. Sign Up
FOLLOW US


Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal

MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
ChurchOne App New!
Watch
Android
ChurchOne App New!
Fire Tablet
Wear
Chromecast TV
Apple TV
Android TV
ROKU TV New!
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Echo
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
2-MINUTE TIPS

NEWS
Weekly Newsletter
Unsubscribe
Staff Picks | RSS
SA Newsroom
SERVICES
Dashboard | Info
Cross Publish
Audio | Video | Podcast
Sermon Player | Video
Church Finder | Info
Mobile & Apps
Live Webcasting
Solo Sites
Internationalization
Listen Line
Events | Notices
Transcription | PowerClips
Billboards | Biz Cards
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations
24x7 Radio Stream

INTEGRATION
Embed Codes
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BLB
JSON API

BATCH
Upload via RSS
Upload via FTP New!
Upload via Dropbox New!

SUPPORT
Advertising | Local Ads
Support Us
Stories
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Earn SA COINS!
Privacy Policy

TECH TALK
Tech Talk Zoom // Episode 05
Copyright © 2020 SermonAudio.