Podcast Our Picks | Help
Select Podcast Format | Help
Our Sermon Picks | Info
Single Random Pick | More
Scott McMahan
Scott McMahan  |  Internet
on all products and blogs for this member

Blog3/7/14 5:22 PM
actuality from Boston, MA  Find all comments by actuality
comments
I've been a reporter for 35 years and fell for this scam. The next day I realized there was no media category listed so I called and tried to get my money back. They refunded all but $220 after I told them I was dying of starvation. I just hope my credit card won't be abused. I'll have to monitor my debit card daily for several months. I feel like a fool for falling for this. After all, I'm supposed to be trained skeptic. Good for all of you who saw through this before you handed over any of your hard earned money.

Blog3/4/14 12:14 PM
Slybrunette from VA  Find all comments by Slybrunette
comments
Uh oh. They've started with the emails again.
It's john blah blah editor in chief now

Blog3/1/14 8:38 PM
Jin from Chicago, Illinois  Find all comments by Jin
comments
I received same email, but what's crazy is
that I'm an unemployed mother of 2,
released from prison not too long back.

I'm not saying this to publicize my
personal life, but to show that this is
without a doubt a scam.

Blog2/28/14 12:52 PM
Lodgie  Find all comments by Lodgie
comments
Just got off the phone with Ms.Nancy Muller who was so sweet
and nice to me during the 'interview' to see if I was 'approved'
for the 'prestige' of being a part of Who's Who. Our conversation
turned awfully sour as soon as she asked me for a $899
payment to be a 'platinum' member. I told her I cannot spend
money like that without consulting my husband first, to which
she replied, "anything you do to benefit yourself will also
benefit him, so he will understand" She carried on with what
was now a very high pressure sales pitch, and when I told her
receptively 'I have no money to give you' she kept on telling me
about how chances of 'approval' a second time is difficult, and
there are thousands of applicants a day, so I need to buy now,
think later (basically). Her answers for everything seemed very
scripted and trained, even when she would compliment me.
Funny enough, the price kept getting lower and lower! To the
point where it was now $200 for two years. I don't know of any
self respecting businesses that beg for money in such a
desperate way. I told her I had no credit card even on me or any
way to pay her because my husband is at work and has all of
the cards (in a last ditch effort to make her go away) to which
she told me I should go "look for any receipts or bank
statements

Blog12/27/13 9:34 PM
Vette from Washington  Find all comments by Vette
comments
Well, I thought it was quite pricey as being presented on television. But that is the cost on other websites too ($150). I am glad I came across your analysis, which tells of other options to getting the same information but less expensive and from some very good resources I might add.

Blog12/27/13 12:46 AM
pandabear315 from Indiana  Find all comments by pandabear315
comments
What Ever You DO Not DO This IT IS A Scam
MY MOM AND I HAD TO Cancel HER Credit Card
TO Avoid THE Fees SO Please DO NOT Answer
This Email IT WILL Ruin YOU AND Your
Credit. Ignore THE Email AND Delete IT From
Your Inbox, IT IS A SCAM!!!!

Blog12/6/13 12:02 AM
T Young from San Francisco  Find all comments by T Young
comments
I smelled a scam when I got the initial email invite. I figured I'd join
at the free inclusion which there is none. Upon receive of your
lifetime membership cost of over $780, you also got to airplane
tickets to anywhere in the world for two. Hah. I went - yeah right so
the high pressure scum lowered it to $590 good for 5 years and you
would still the flights. I still didn't budge where he lowered the price
again at $375 worthy of 3 years membership and still get the 2
airplane tickets. Nope. And AGAIN he lowered it to $275 student
rate which I basically told him to take a hike. Deal way too good be
a deal and still get the flights. Deals way too good to be true- rule #1
Stay Away!!!! There is no &@$?% way they will give anyone 2
roundtrip world airplane tickets for $300. Lol

Blog11/28/13 8:48 AM
Britt  Find all comments by Britt
comments
Yep scam paid 390$ for a 5$ plaque

Blog11/12/13 9:07 AM
Princess_Mimi from Toronto, Canada  Find all comments by Princess_Mimi
comments
... At this point, she was practically shouting at me on the phone!! Then she hung up on me and played on a phony recording providing the website's URL. BEWARE OF THESE GUYS!!! THEY ARE MONEY GRABBING SCAMMERS AND NOTHING ELSE!!! She calls me again and I'm so going to report her!

Blog11/12/13 9:05 AM
Princess_Mimi from Toronto, Canada  Find all comments by Princess_Mimi
comments
I went through the exact same process. I first received an email that I had been selected as one of the most accomplished professionasls and fell for it providing my phone number. The next morning a woman called Maria Lorenz called me and said she wanted to interview me to see if I was eligible. I said to her before disclosing the information I would like to find out more about her organization. She was extremely scornful and sarcastic making me feel bad about not knowing anything about it. Then she said to me, why don't you research our website and call me back. I never called her back but kept getting phone calls from her 516 number which I kept ignoring until one day she got hold of me through a blocked ID. This time I played along and spent 10 mins rambling on the phone about how GREAT I am (haha!). She agreed that I am an extremely accomplished professional and then started offering the packages. I said to her I needed to think about before going for this membership but she persisted this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and if I don't pay now I will lose this prestigious recognition. I was able to bring it down to a reduced rate of 2 year membership but still refused to pull out of credit card on the spot requesting more info. on the organization. At this point

Blog11/9/13 2:02 PM
Pat from Philadelphia  Go to homepageFind all comments by Pat
comments
I just received calls from this group telling me what an honor it would
be to pay appx $700 for a five yr membership and more for a lifetime
membership. They even have a https site to pay. It was the pressure
tactics that made me suspicious. Four calls for payment in 12 hrs. I
don't need to be in an "honor society" you that the criteria for entrance
is payment. This screamed SCAM. I hope all report this group to the
BBB

Blog10/29/13 8:05 PM
Honeybee from dallas Tx  Find all comments by Honeybee
comments
I wish someone had told my significant
other he got his plaque in the mAIl today
who am I to say. I do not want to be the
one to burst his bubble

Blog10/25/13 1:49 PM
Alyce from Los Angeles  Find all comments by Alyce
comments
I was suspicious about some of the same issues you addressed, especially the issue of context. Thanks for the info. It was enlightening.

Blog10/20/13 2:13 PM
Ann Holaday USA from Washington  Find all comments by Ann Holaday USA
comments
I have just been through the same experience described. I
played along until it came to giving credit card details when I
said i was uncomfortable giving that information over the
phone.
She soon backed off when I said I would look up their website
and if it was legitimate, I would pay through PayPal.

Standard rule never give credit card or bank info over the
phone. These people are everywhere.

Blog9/12/13 9:44 AM
Dan Goldberg from New Mexico  Contact via emailFind all comments by Dan Goldberg
comments
I was scammed into giving them a Credit Card to pay cost. With high pressured sales person. then when I exercised my right of rescission under federal law they said it was against their policy and the Law didn't matter

Blog8/23/13 9:57 PM
Ktn_artist from Alaska  Find all comments by Ktn_artist
comments
I am still in Highschool when I received this, and even though I
participated in a national youth conference. I don't think they would
accept a teenager that has hopes of being an artist on a professional
Who's Who website? Anyway thanks for informing me on their
intentions.

Blog8/23/13 2:11 PM
not being scammed from massachusetts  Find all comments by not being scammed
comments
Glad I have learned over the years not to believe anything until I check it out. I have worked hard over the past 6 years on my bachelors degree so could have fallen for this as I just finished and am thinking about my doctorate. By the way, now John DAgostino is the registry administrator and the office is at 200 garden city plaza in garden city ny. Its amazing how often they change this mans title. Lol

Blog8/1/13 9:34 PM
won't be scammed from Wasghington state  Find all comments by won't be scammed
comments
They must've needed some cash flow after moving a few miles down the road from Holbrook, NY to Garden City (on "the Island" or Long Island), as it seems a new slew of mass e-mails went out yesterday. Quick online search showed numerous ripoff complaints: high priced membership for inclusion (which is supposed to be free) and to get anything in print for proof - a Directory - is absurdly high priced. DON'T CLICK IN REPLY! These guys have been "fishing" for your money for almost 10 years off and on. http://www.bbb.org/NYC/business-reviews/publishers-periodical/global-directory-of-who-s-who-in-holbrook-ny-88860/

Blog8/1/13 12:25 PM
tiffany from iowa  Find all comments by tiffany
comments
i am 20 and still trying to get into college i dont think working at mcdonalds as a grill and fryer postion a profession and i got the letter 4 days ago i got excited thinking it was some sort of grant for college but i was sadly mistaken

Blog8/1/13 9:15 AM
Emely James from New York  Find all comments by Emely James
comments
Today, I got a letter from them too also, I was about to inform my
mother about it, but I didn't know what is a Global Who's Who, until
now. It gets my mad how you ALMOST click that button and without
knowing you'll get all your effort go to waste.

Jump to Page : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 more