SATURDAY

MyChurch: swrb
Still Waters Revival Books
Puritans, Covenanters, et al.  |  Edmonton, Alberta

Sermon5/6/14 8:02 PM
Asa from Arizona  Find all comments by Asa
comments
Very good and sound teaching though only a few will receive it.

Sermon4/28/14 11:06 PM
alana from wisconsin,U.S.A.  Find all comments by alana
God bless and keep you in His loving care!

Sermon4/27/14 11:51 PM
Mark Townsend from Frisco, Texad  Find all comments by Mark Townsend
comments
Just starting to realize how God used this man to reveal Himself to us! I'm reading this book now.

Sermon4/27/14 9:57 PM
Brenda Miller from Charlotte, NC  Contact via emailFind all comments by Brenda Miller
“ True Sermon! ”
True and encouraging message.

Sermon4/18/14 8:10 PM
Tom Sullivan from Jenison, MI  Contact via emailFind all comments by Tom Sullivan
“ Oh, for a sight of this today ”
An account by J Barbour Johnston, December 1859, scenes were seen there, I believe, during the height of the revival. So very numerous were the cases, that they found it necessary to have cars regularly in attendance to carry the stricken ones to their own homes. Thus, of a truth, hundreds of those who aforetime were enemies of the Lord fell wounded under the power of His word. Thus, in many cases, the deep inward conviction was accompanied by outward prostration and other physical symptoms. I was deeply anxious to have my mind resolved in reference to these features. I felt that there was a possibility of some such physical effects under a mere panic of a purely natural kind, altogether unallied to the operations of the Spirit of God. But during my visit my mind was entirely resolved; and if I had any lurking doubts, they were dispelled. I was much struck, the first day, with the remarks of one who had seen many of these cases. He said it was as if a man were stripped naked, and laid upon red-hot bars of iron. The stricken one seemed as if in hell, writhing in agony, blind to the outer world, and utterly helpless, until God granted deliverance. He said, "You could never forget such a sight, and could only stand by in silent awe, wondering at God's work."

Sermon4/17/14 10:56 PM
Still Waters Revival Books from Edmonton, Alberta  Protected NameContact via emailFind all comments by Still Waters Revival Books
comments
“ Reformed Worship, Easter, Christmas and the RPW ”
Thanks for the comment MS! This quote is also helpful: "In 1899, the General Assembly of the PCUS was overtured to give a "pronounced and explicit deliverance" against the recognition of "Christmas and Easter as religious days." Even at this late date, the answer came back in a solid manner: "There is no warrant in Scripture for the observance of Christmas and Easter as holydays, rather the contrary (see Gal. 4:9-11; Col. 2:16-21), and such observance is contrary to the principles of the Reformed faith, conducive to will-worship, and not in harmony with the simplicity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ." - Kevin Reed, Christmas: An Historical Survey Regarding Its Origins and Opposition to It - Free Online Book at http://ow.ly/vUGZ8.

Sermon4/17/14 2:24 PM
MS  Find all comments by MS
comments
Excellent! take heed Christians that you are worshipping the LORD in His appointed way and not after the manner of the heathen!

Sermon4/9/14 5:03 PM
Lisa from Wales  Contact via emailFind all comments by Lisa
Very very good reading of pinks thoughts regarding dispensationalism - quite challenging. I loved the scriptures he quotes - all in all a very uplifting study.

Sermon4/5/14 10:08 PM
“ 2nd Only to Dr. Owen ”
Listened to this at work today. Tonight I seek Christ as my only refuge...Charnock (1628-1680)wrote, "Do mortify. It notes a continued act. It must be a quick and an uninterrupted severity. The knife must still stick in the throat of sin, until it fall down perfectly dead. Sin must be kept down though it will rage the more, as a beast with the pangs of death is more desperate. 1. Mortification must be universal ; not one deed, but deeds, little and great, must fall under the edge, the brats must be dashed against the wall. Though the main battle be routed, yet the wings of an army may get the victory. There are evil dispositions, depraved habits, corrupt affections ; we should not spare a nest of vipers when we find them, being all equally injurious. All actual sins are but the sproutings of original. The body signifies corrupt nature, deeds are the products of it ; all the sparks issue from the furnace within ; the body gives nourishment to the members, and the members bring supplies to the body." If the Puritans were so diligent to express that restraining from sin is not the same as putting sin to death, where does that leave those who read one or two sentences and cry out, "legalism!"

Sermon4/3/14 9:07 PM
“ How to Recover from a Backsliding State ”
Sometimes I prefer to listen to narrations if done by another speaker, but because this particular chapter - written in 1755 - was presently the top downloaded title of all 250 books on my own podcast site, I listened to it while delivering the mail today. I must say the first thing that is notable is to hear a pastor from the 1750s say that our forefathers walked so much closer with the Lord and had far better devotional frames. Well, where does that leave us 250 years later? Next I thought to myself that few books are written like this anymore. The question is addressed, but often not with the warnings and thoroughness detailed here. The third reflection was a lament - that this book is not republished in a popular form, and for the most part is unknown. I am thankful for my friends at S W R B, because they have always made it available throughout the years as a print on demand. But, alas, there is so little such demand in our day. T M S www.puritanaudiobooks.com

Sermon4/1/14 2:12 PM
comments
“ Email for Reading Sermons for SWRB ”
The email in the comment below should read swrb@swrb.com -- not what is below.

Sermon3/28/14 10:19 PM
Michael Williams from Texas City, Texas  Contact via emailFind all comments by Michael Williams
comments
“ Powerful View of Christ Crucified ”
I have been listening to the series to and from work. This afternoon I was able to listen to the second half of the sermon after hearing the first half on the way to work this morning. I found myself shouting "Glory" and crying for joy as Dr. Martin described the active work of Christ the High Priest on the cross! What love He had for HIs Father's glory! What a tremendous sermon - I will listen again and again.

Sermon3/27/14 4:30 PM
Thomas Sullivan from Jenison, MI  Contact via emailFind all comments by Thomas Sullivan
An Alarm to the Unregenerate
Thomas Boston
“ We need this kind of preaching today. ”
A friend got me to looking through these Thomas Boston narrations because he said he was so fond of Thomas Boston that he sleeps with a volume of his works under his pillow. I told him I agreed, that this is what our country needs a Boston T. party. Back about 1985, I found my first copy of Fourfold State in a used book store in Alexandra, VA. I narrated from that book, which I suppose is about from 1850, on cassettes at least two times and parts of it a third time. Boston, calling natural man a spiritual monster wrote," his heels are lifted up against heaven--which his heart should be set on, Acts 9:5. His face is towards hell, his back towards heaven; and therefore God calls to him to turn. He loves what he should hate, and hates what he should love. He joys in what he ought to mourn for, and mourns for what he should rejoice in. He glories in his shame, and is ashamed of his glory."

Sermon3/22/14 1:09 PM
Michael Williams from Texas City, TX  Contact via emailFind all comments by Michael Williams
comments
This is the most powerful and helpful material I have EVER heard on effectual preaching. I was never given this in seminary. After listening to the entire series, I feel as if a real pastor has walked me through the experiences of his own life in regards to preaching.

Sermon3/22/14 4:34 AM
Elizabeth A. Barnard from Italy  Contact via emailFind all comments by Elizabeth A. Barnard
comments
I love the Bible centred Church that brings Gods truth as the final revelation by the Holy Spirit to the Church and acknowledeges this as such. That whiich was revealed to the Saints and recorded in the Bible being the full and final revelation.

Sermon3/17/14 6:49 PM
Faye from Atlanta, GA (USA)  Find all comments by Faye
comments
“ Appreciate It !! ”
Thanks !! Puritan, Covenanters, et.al for scripture reference correction. The Isaiah 64:10 in my comment was a typo on my part. I'm glad that you saw it and made the correction (Isaiah 63:10). Faye

Sermon3/17/14 7:56 AM
Pauline from Hampshire UK  Contact via emailFind all comments by Pauline
Limited Atonement
Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson
A sermon of great doctrine and beauty in glorifying our precious Lord

Sermon3/14/14 7:18 PM
“ Why believers NEED this Psalm ”
When businesses face litigation because they will not cater to what in our day are labeled civil-rights, we feel like Asaph. PS 73:3 I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. But this Psalm shows that God takes notice. v. 11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. 12 If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. V. 11 "God is angry." The original expression here is very forcible. The true idea of it appears to be, to froth or foam at the mouth with indignation. Richard Mant, D.D., 1824. So when Asaph considered their end he concluded, " Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. 22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee." Or as Edwards wrote that the wrath of God will utterly undo the subject of it. And though now we think God is too silent, the day is coming when even rocks and mountains won't be a refuge to those who are His enemies. We must pray that God MERCIFULLY interpose, or as Edwards wrote, unhappy man that shall understand His wrath by feeling it.

Sermon3/14/14 6:59 AM
Puritans, Covenanters, et al. from Edmonton, Alberta  Protected NameFind all comments by Puritans, Covenanters, et al.
comments
“ God's Anger With the USA & Other Nations, Free MP3 ”
Thanks for your comment Faye! It is very perceptive and you made a pertinent choice in the Scripture verse you cited. However, the verse is actually Isaiah 63:10, not Isaiah 64:10, which we mention so that this does not confuse anyone who may look up that verse. We've also listed many more of Dr. Steven Dilday's free MP3s at http://ow.ly/uA7uE (on our site at PuritanDownloads.com), as he has preached many other fine sermons -- and we (SWRB) point to some of his best sermons, which are also free MP3s on SermonAudio, on this Web page.

Sermon3/14/14 3:00 AM

Special Meeting

Ken Wimer
The Savior of Sinners

Gospel According to Luke
Shreveport Grace Church

Voddie Baucham on Puritan Hard Drive

"Simply ast­on­ish­ing. Amaz­ing tool. I have enj­oyed my Pur­itan Hard Drive imm­ens­ely."
www.puritandownloads.com/dr..

Emergency Food USA

Great tast­ing, healthy, GMO free emerg­ency food. Long term food and water stor­age.
www.emergencyfoodusa.com

The Clever False Prophet
Pastor Alfred J. Chompff

Sykesville, MD | zip
Liberty Church, PCA

The den­om­in­at­ion of RC Sproul and Tim Kell­er.
www.libertychurchpca.org

He who has no vision of eternity will never get a true hold of time. ... Thomas Carlyle

City: Austin, TX