Clovis Evangelical Free Church | SermonAudio.com

More + Podcast + Codes
HTML Embed | Demo
MyChurch: clovisevfree
Clovis Evangelical Free Church
Wil Owens  |  Clovis, California

Blog7/25/08 12:20 PM
Wil Owens from Gray Court, South Carolina  Protected NameGo to homepageFind all comments by Wil Owens
comments
Hey Neil,
I appreciate your input. It seems clear that you are influenced by the Hodges/Ryrie/Dallas school of thought on this issue. (I'm sure you can guess my influences as well.) If not directly influenced, you do follow their thinking. Do know that I have read their books, and I remain unconvinced and opposed to their exegetical explanations. Of course, the point in referring to James 2:19 is to establish that there are ways to believe that are not saving. As far as exegetical evidence that saving belief means more than assent, one simply has to look at the calls of Christ in the Gospel; "Come," "Drink," "Follow," etc. to see that saving faith encompasses more than mental agreement. Furthermore, as you know, the context of 1 Cor 15:3-4 argues against a simple assent position. In verses 1-2 Paul says his readers "received" the gospel (vv 3-4), "stand" in the gospel, and are being saved by the gospel IF THEY "HOLD FAST." So there is the exegetical evidence in the very passage you quoted. Paul includes things like "receive," "stand," and "hold fast" as included in what it means to be saved by belief in the gospel. Clearly those words mean more than to merely assent to some facts. They mean something like "stake your life on these facts - always!"
Blessings Neil.

Blog7/25/08 11:32 AM
Neil from Tucson  Find all comments by Neil
comments
Jas. 2:19 uses the word "believe" twice, not "assent" (assuming there's a Gk. equivalent), so how does this verse clarify matters? Is there any exegetical evidence that "assent" differs from (or is inferior to) "belief?" Whence the "far more than?"

Blog7/25/08 6:33 AM
comments
1 Cor 15:3-4 is a summation of the content of the Gospel not what one is to do with that content. In other words, it is what we proclaim, not how we are to respond to that proclamation. To say "assent" sounds like "agree." While we must "assent" to the message, we MUST do far more than that. We must believe (which has to mean more than mere assent, Ja 2:19) and repent because of the content of the Gospel.

Blog7/24/08 9:32 PM
Neil from Tucson  Find all comments by Neil
comments
1 Cor. 15:3-4 is also a scriptural fact. Could a person assent to that - which is the Gospel - and still stand condemned?

Blog7/24/08 8:35 PM
Kevin from Simpsonville, SC  Contact via emailGo to homepageFind all comments by Kevin
comments
I just wanted to thank you for this post Wil. I have struggled with this and it something that I have been challenged with when I consider how I am going to end my messages everytime I get to preach or teach. I posted a link to this on my blog and I am encouraging everyone I know to read your post. Thanks again.

Sermon1/1/08 5:59 AM
Jude Newman from Brisbane Australia  Contact via emailFind all comments by Jude Newman
Thank you and bless you Pastor Wil. I love and appreciate your sermons. I will read my Bible through this year. I need to develop that love for God's word, that you have and to memorise parts of it.

Sermon12/28/07 9:48 PM
Kibby from Malaysia  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kibby
comments
This is a sermon that I need and I believe many churge goers need to hear so that we can check ourselves and take necessary steps to save ourselves from deciving ourselves that we are save. A sermon that will convict you if you are searching to know the truth about true faith.

Sermon12/28/07 3:44 PM
Butch Boruff from Urbana, Illinois  Contact via emailFind all comments by Butch Boruff
comments
Excellent message. Certainly is pertinent in the false religions of today. A man crying out with truth.

Sermon12/22/07 5:57 PM
Rita Beckett from New Jersey  Contact via emailFind all comments by Rita Beckett
Guests and Garments
Wil Owens
WONDERFUL SERMON PASTOR WILL. I CERTAINLY HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE WEDDING FEAST PARABLE AND I PRAY MANY WILL HEAR THIS MESSAGE AND BE CALLED AND DRAWN BY GOD THE FATHER TO JESUS CHRIST HIS SON. GOD BLESS YOU.

Sermon12/14/07 5:59 PM
comments
A TERRIFIC SERMON PIERCING DEEP INTO THE HEART AND HELPING US TO EXAMINE OUR FAITH SO THAT IT CAN BE PROVED WORTHY FOR THE MASTER. THERE ARE TOO MANY FALSE CONVERSIONS TODAY BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DUPED INTO BELIEVING THAT ALL IS NEEDED IS A RECITAL OF THE SINNERS PRAYER AND ALL WILL BE WELL. THANK YOU WIL AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Sermon12/13/07 12:50 AM
Jude Newman from Brisbane, Australia  Contact via emailFind all comments by Jude Newman
“ THANK YOU! ”
Bless you, Pastor Wil. You have opened up these passages for me, in such an amazing way. I feel so uplifted that our Father is still raising up uncompromising preachers, who forcefully and faithfully preach God's word. I am so blessed that Jesus listened to my cry.

Sermon12/12/07 6:55 AM
comments
“ Fantastic Sermon! ”
Soul searching sermon. powerfully preached. I did breathe a sigh of relief at the end. Thank you, and may our Lord bless you abundantly

Jump to Page : 1 2 [3]

Feeding of the Four Thousand
Kevin Swanson
Polygamy Legalized in America

Will Pastors Oppose Incest?
Current Events

Event: Jan 22-24, 2015
G3 Conference 2015

The Bible is the Word of God
Conference
Pray's Mill Baptist Church

Bible's Providential Preservation

Free MP3s: King James Vers­ion, Other Vers­ions, Textus Rec­ept­us, Mas­or­etic Text, Etc.
www.puritandownloads.com/th..