Community Baptist Church of Fargo | SermonAudio.com

Broadcaster Podcast | Help
Select Podcast Format | Help
HTML Embed | Demo
Community Baptist Church of Fargo
Doug VanderMeulen  |  Fargo, North Dakota

Sermon10/9/12 10:24 AM
Jeff Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Contact via emailFind all comments by Jeff Ludwig
Common Sins Of Covenantal Marriage
Doug VanderMeulen
This sermon really brings home seven types of sins men commit in their covenantal relationship with their wife. Man is the head, and Pastor Doug calls on men who are married or who anticipate being married to begin to research and try to understand what it means to be a "head." He encourages the listener to read some of the writings of Doug Wilson on this topic. Certainly, reading Doug Wilson helped me better understand my role, but I still have many shortcomings in this area. Pastor Doug refers to I Corinthians 16-17 as giving the father a veto over his daughter's choice of a spouse. In going back to the verses, it seemed to me that they refer to a man's choice about whether or not to marry a virgin,i.e., that it is not a sin to marry even though the man knows that he will be taken away from serving the Lord to some degree. It is difficult for me to understand where the father comes into this.... You will be strengthened in your role as husband and head by listening to this sermon, and the other sermons in this series. As Pastor Doug states, women will find the sermon useful as well because it will show them areas where they can be of help to their husbands. Blessings to all. Jeffrey Ludwig

Sermon4/8/12 8:42 PM
Jeff Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
The Curse - Galatians 3:10-14
Doug VanderMeulen
“ Passionate and Moving Sermon! ”
The listener will be brought closer to an understanding of the glorious sacrifice that is Christ's ignominious death on the Cross. You cannot listen to this sermon without overflowing with gratitude for a loving God who saved those of us who have repented and received Salvation through Christ. We do not have to spend an eternity in hell. Pastor Doug says this straight out in the sermon, and it is a reality that has to be faced by American Christians who do not want to mention this truth in order not to offend.

Sermon3/16/12 5:29 AM
zephaniah from sydney  Find all comments by zephaniah
comments
“ more to follow.... ”
Hmmmm... 55,000 downloads and not one comment....i will listen to this sermon and post my thoughts. More to follow.

Sermon2/13/12 9:27 PM
Johnny Tobler  Find all comments by Johnny Tobler

Sermon12/24/11 1:25 PM
Jeff Ludwig from New York City  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
“ Is God really 'in control?' ”
Are we still giving God the praise and the glory even when disaster or extreme difficulties come? So, when I heard a testimony two years ago by a Christian woman that had one son go away to college and returned as a gay, and a daughter who went away to college and came home an atheist, I was inspired by the woman's faith. She was still praying for her kids and still seeing them as works in progress. I appreciated her testimony, but honestly it is not a testimony l want to have. I don't want my daughter to grow up to be a lesbian or an atheist. But Pastor Doug lays down the gauntlet to all of us. We don't know how we'll react when painful experiences occur, but if our God is truly a providential God, then we shall give Him the praise and glory in all circumstances. Amen.

Sermon12/24/11 12:40 PM
Jeff Ludwig from New York City  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
“ From glory to glory! ”
Do you realize that in Christ, the "veil" that hides the glory of Christ has been lifted? Do you realize you are going from glory to glory? Do you understand that those whose eyes have been blinded are going from spiritual death to eternal damnation? As Christians we need to understand these truths. We are uniquely privileged to have these truths revealed to us. Pastor Doug in a burst of spiritual exaltation (glory to God) has been used by God to lift up our crestfallen and sinful hearts, and draw us more closely to the Creator of the universe.

Sermon11/4/11 9:35 AM
Jeffrey from New York  Find all comments by Jeffrey
comments
My comment includes the provides "it is not God has..." but should read "is it not God who has..." Sorry for the error.

Sermon11/3/11 12:56 PM
Jeffrey from New York  Find all comments by Jeffrey
comments
“ God Wants Us To Work & Be Productive ”
The beautiful thing about this sermon is its simplicity. If you work hard and make money, be thankful. If you work hard and don't make a lot of money be thankful. I know a lot of people who work hard, but at the same time are bitterly complaining about the "fat cats" or those corporate executives who are making millions. "Are they really working harder than I?" they may say. Isn't their income excessive relative to their contribution to the social weal or to the good that they do? I know a pastor who likes to speak to groups of executives and lecture them about greed. Yet, my grandfathers arrived in the U.S. and were impoverished (one only had $.25 in his pocket), yet all the grandchildren have decent jobs and middle class lifestyles. God in His Providence showed their labors were not in vain, nor are those of their grandchildren. The prosperity of some rich may be excessive, but on the other hand, in most cases it is not. God has charged such individuals with a responsibility to be generous and share, and many do! Meanwhile their riches do not result in my deprivation. Who had to become poor for Steven Jobs to become a billionaire? He began his business in a garage, not by taking anything from anyone. I recommend this sermon to you. Also read Prof. B.Folsom.

Sermon11/1/11 3:43 PM
Jeffrey from New York  Find all comments by Jeffrey
Sexual Sin - 1 Corinthians 6
Doug VanderMeulen
comments
“ Sexual sin, Part II ”
One additional point to be added to Part I. I live in New York City. Here there is prurient behavior everwhere, as well as prurient visials. For example, women in the most revealing clothing are standing close to one in crowded subways, or sitting nearby. Couples are doing all sorts of "stuff" from time to time (sometimes I have changed subway cars). The advertisements within the subway cars and on the buses is often lewd and suggestive. The standard clothing, especially in the warm weather is so far from modest as to be laughable. Not only is clothing not modest, it is positively ultra-revealing and lewd. Although there is a dress code in the high school where I teach, some of the students in the warm weather dress in a way that would make Pastor Doug and me cringe. Even sometimes male students are wearing only sleeveless undershirts. At another time of the year, the school has Pajama Day for seniors when they come to school dressed in bedroom attire. (And just to really shock you, despite my protests to the parents and school authorities, for the past few years there has been one day called "Cross Dressing Day" where many senior males come to school dressed as females and trying to look as sexy as possible. I hope and mightily pray to Almighty God for more sermons like this.

Sermon11/1/11 3:34 PM
Jeffrey from New York  Find all comments by Jeffrey
Sexual Sin - 1 Corinthians 6
Doug VanderMeulen
comments
“ Churches must preach about sexual sin! Part I ”
Although I have been saved fir about 25 years, I don't recall hearing any other sermon about sexual sin. Sometimes a preacher will refer to this or that abomination in a sermon, but I don't recall hearing, even once, an entire sermon devoted to this VERY important topic. If temptation draws near are we going to flee from it like Joseph from Potiphar's wife? Or are we going to be led into immorality like Aaron who told Moses that there was all that gold and...well, soon...there was a golden calf. In short, will we fall into immorality and blame "circumstances" or will we take Biblical responsibility for our actions and avoid all compromising situations when there is even a hint (by word, thought, or deed) of potential trouble for our moral life? I have had to flee from certain situations, and I still (even though I'm an old guy of 70) do not drive with a single female alone in my car. However, I was convicted by the sermon about my tendency to watch Dancing With the Stars with my wife sometimes. There is a lascivious element to those performances, and I shall cease from doing so even though I have heretofore considered this to be merely light and relaxing entertainment after a hard day's work.

Sermon10/16/11 6:56 PM
Jeff Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
“ There is a hierarchy created by Almighty God! ”
You know folks, you need to hear about how this teenage individualism is "odd." When I heard Pastor Doug use this word, it really resonated. You see, in the midst of the culture is a norm that is not normAL. It is odd. So if you have a teenager who is a faultfinder of his or her parents, who doesn't have an attitude of reverence and gratitude, and sees herself or himself as a mentor to his or her parents as though they are socially retarded, you have a situation that is the reverse of God's order. He lays it out. He is not fierce with anger against the dishonoring ones; but the alternative is clear. If you are to have a successful God-honoring life, it is necessary to honor thy father and thy mother, to be obedient. Otherwise, only a providential intervention to beat you down will restore one to a proper path in Christ.

Sermon9/30/11 5:34 PM
Jeffrey Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeffrey Ludwig
A Cure For Depression - Psalm 13
Doug VanderMeulen
I had just written a list of my overwhelming sorrows in an email to a friend, and said that I was turning to Pastor Doug's sermons to seek a word from the Lord Almighty. Then, when I went to the list of recent sermons what did I find?! This sermon! Talk about God's perfect timing! If you are experiencing some serious heartaches, this sermon will not only encourage you, but restore Godly clarity to your muddled thinking about who you are and God's promise-keeping -- His perfect will and covenantal love. Also, we are reminded repeatedly that we are living in (and are contributors to) this evil age. For me, it is very helpful to hear the word "evil" used, and to know that I am contributing to this evil. Yet, because of Christ's abundant love and mercy, He is intervening and ministering to me, and I can rejoice in the abundance of His love and goodness. Amen. Please take the time to listen to this sermon and allow the Lord God Almighty to give you more than a glimpse of His love.

Sermon9/7/11 3:50 AM
Antoinette Terblanche from SOUTH AFRICA CHRIST BAPTIST  Contact via emailFind all comments by Antoinette Terblanche
WHAT A TREMENDOUS BLESSING TO GOD HAS ARRANGED THROUGH YOU AND YOUR CHURCH. THE TEACHING ON HABAKKUK! WILL LISTEN TO OTHER SERIES, WHILE PUTTING PINE LABELS ETC ON CHRIST BAPTIST SEMINARY LIBRARY POLOKWANE

Sermon8/7/11 8:12 PM
Jeff Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
“ Basic Truths of Faith Revealed ”
Pastor Doug reviews the basic truths of the Lord's Supper as taught to all believers in the Heidelberg Catechism. One point he noted was that Paul says that "MANY..." are sick or asleep because they are coming to the Lord's Supper wrongly. Does one have a proper sense of himself or herself as a sinner? Does one have a real trust in the covering forgiveness of Christ? As usual, Pastor Doug puts the purposes of Christian beliefs and practices into perspective. If you are a churchgoer, please take 34 minutes to listen to this solid teaching.

Sermon7/8/11 7:11 PM
Jeffrey Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeffrey Ludwig
Two Ways - Two Views - Psalm 2
Doug VanderMeulen
“ A Passionate, Hopeful Sermon for a Sinful World ”
I have been listening to Pastor Doug's sermons for years, and this sermon must rank among the most passionate and profound that I have heard (this in no way should be taken to imply that other sermons are not profound). You see, I have been anguished about the passage into law in New York State of the legalization of homosexual marriage. In this preaching of Psalm 2, Pastor Doug explains that the Psalm reveals that there are two worldviews: those who love God and embrace His sovereign Lordship and those who reject Him. I couldn't do justice to the sermon by reiterating the many points made that expanded on this theme of two worldviews, but I can say that I have found consolation in this sermon. I am consoled that even though I am a sinner through and through I am walking on a path of blessedness desiring to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whereas, as Doug frequently communicates, the world LOVES THE DARKNESS. This is a deep reality that is under our sovereign God who is both severe and merciful. If any reader of this comment is undecided about whether to take the time to listen to this sermon, I seriously recommend that you make the time, take notes, and receive the powerful truths that are expressed.

Sermon7/4/11 4:16 AM
BWS  Find all comments by BWS
Christ In The Psalms - Luke 24:36-49
Rev. G. I. Williamson
“ Importantance of Psalm-Singing, Part II! ”
Should be entitled, "Singing Psalms, Hymns, Songs--Part II". This absolutely refutes the idea that singing Psalms (as some have argued) "does not include singing about Jesus", and proves that view absolutely heretical by Jesus' own teaching. To the contrary, the Psalms magnify the true Christ, "who loved righteousness and hated iniquity" and "therefore was exalted" (Heb. 1:9) as a Prince and a Savior, and his necessary sufferings. This sermon stands against the heretical and sentimental hymn-writer Isaac Watts, who condemned the Psalms (especially impreccatory), as "contrary to the spirit of the Gospel", blasphemously! To the contrary, singing Psalms balances God's divine attributes perfectly (due to inspiration), and defines them rightly, i.e. both Justice and Mercy, which sentimental modern hymns absolutely abuse and destroy for a Universalist, Arminian "love" and self-exalting praise, which knows nothing of the Justice of God, without which there is no true Mercy. Neither is the Hatred of God toward impenitent "workers of iniquity", idols, particular sins, consistent with the Law of God, made to shine as in Psalms which Jesus and the Gospel vindicate, as "just, holy, and good" (Romans 7), but which modern hymns hold in contempt.

Sermon6/17/11 12:41 PM
lasandra from Illinois  Find all comments by lasandra
The Providence Of God
Jerry Bridges
comments
I am in time in my life that I have been struggling w/a physical affliction. I have been fighting God in mu mind back and forth, but yesterday I told him, "I give up....if this pleases you, it pleases me." I felt so much peace at that point and last night PROVIDENTIALLY I someone emailed me Jerry Bridges book, Trusting God even when it hurts. I began listening to these sermons and they are just what I need!

Sermon5/17/11 4:23 PM
BWS  Find all comments by BWS
“ Relevant and Convincing Message! ”
Draw around, especially all you churches who claim to be "reformed" and proclaim the "sovereignty of God" while rejecting his sovereignty over what to "speak to one another" through singing in church! Did the Lord Jesus not give strict commandments for worship in his churches through his apostles? Did he really intend us to sing Watts (who condemned the Psalms), Wesley (who was heterodox) or sentimental Fanny Crosby, or contemporary "Christian artists", even Rappers, as "psalms, hymns or songs" as if they are "spiritual (God-breathed)"? This scripture text, as the respected Mr. Williamson proves, refutes will-worship in what is sung, and shows the "means of grace" being missed! This is practiced by Presbyterians in Scotland to this day, as it once was by Spurgeon. Come modern Baptists, and hear the same position as John Gill! What a breath of gentle, refreshing air, a soft breeze that so easily blows away the clouds of worship confusion through this neglected or abused text, that few are willing to obey, because it's contrary to their conservative "traditions" or contemporary man-pleasing.

Sermon5/15/11 12:58 AM
Marqui Bacon from Saint Louis  Find all comments by Marqui Bacon
The Providence Of God
Jerry Bridges
comments
Very timely! I enjoyed this one very much.

Sermon1/8/11 8:50 PM
Jeff Ludwig from Brooklyn, NY  Find all comments by Jeff Ludwig
“ The Righteousness That Christ Alone Can Give ”
This wonderful sermon about Noah tells us that if we have faith then our faith will manifest in action, just as Noah's did. And...when our faith manifests in action, it will automatically be condemning of those who do not have the faith. Yes, we may tell the truth in love to others, but the reality of the wrath of God is an inescapeable reality.

Jump to Page : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

13 The Little Fountain
Bill Parker
The God of Salvation

The God of Salvation
Sunday School
Eager Avenue Grace Church

Lewis Kiger
God can burn barley field

Memorial Heights Baptist

Deceived Church

Ambassadors For Christ Intl-US
Special Meeting

Scott T. Brown
His Hand is Stretched Out

Hope Baptist Church

Imitating Evil Or Good?
Jon Couch

To carry care to bed is to sleep with a pack on your back. ... Thomas Haliburton
Site-Wide RSS & Podcast | Help