Still Waters Revival Books | SermonAudio.com

Select Podcast Format | Help
HTML Embed | Demo
Still Waters Revival Books
Puritans, Covenanters, et al.  |  Edmonton, Alberta

Sermon4/9/14 5:03 PM
Lisa from Wales  Contact via emailFind all comments by Lisa
Very very good reading of pinks thoughts regarding dispensationalism - quite challenging. I loved the scriptures he quotes - all in all a very uplifting study.

Sermon4/5/14 10:08 PM
Tom Sullivan from Jenison, MI  Contact via emailFind all comments by Tom Sullivan
“ 2nd Only to Dr. Owen ”
Listened to this at work today. Tonight I seek Christ as my only refuge...Charnock (1628-1680)wrote, "Do mortify. It notes a continued act. It must be a quick and an uninterrupted severity. The knife must still stick in the throat of sin, until it fall down perfectly dead. Sin must be kept down though it will rage the more, as a beast with the pangs of death is more desperate. 1. Mortification must be universal ; not one deed, but deeds, little and great, must fall under the edge, the brats must be dashed against the wall. Though the main battle be routed, yet the wings of an army may get the victory. There are evil dispositions, depraved habits, corrupt affections ; we should not spare a nest of vipers when we find them, being all equally injurious. All actual sins are but the sproutings of original. The body signifies corrupt nature, deeds are the products of it ; all the sparks issue from the furnace within ; the body gives nourishment to the members, and the members bring supplies to the body." If the Puritans were so diligent to express that restraining from sin is not the same as putting sin to death, where does that leave those who read one or two sentences and cry out, "legalism!"

Sermon4/3/14 9:07 PM
“ How to Recover from a Backsliding State ”
Sometimes I prefer to listen to narrations if done by another speaker, but because this particular chapter - written in 1755 - was presently the top downloaded title of all 250 books on my own podcast site, I listened to it while delivering the mail today. I must say the first thing that is notable is to hear a pastor from the 1750s say that our forefathers walked so much closer with the Lord and had far better devotional frames. Well, where does that leave us 250 years later? Next I thought to myself that few books are written like this anymore. The question is addressed, but often not with the warnings and thoroughness detailed here. The third reflection was a lament - that this book is not republished in a popular form, and for the most part is unknown. I am thankful for my friends at S W R B, because they have always made it available throughout the years as a print on demand. But, alas, there is so little such demand in our day. T M S www.puritanaudiobooks.com

Sermon4/1/14 2:12 PM
Still Waters Revival Books from Edmonton, Alberta  Protected NameContact via emailFind all comments by Still Waters Revival Books
comments
“ Email for Reading Sermons for SWRB ”
The email in the comment below should read swrb@swrb.com -- not what is below.

Sermon3/28/14 10:19 PM
Michael Williams from Texas City, Texas  Contact via emailFind all comments by Michael Williams
comments
“ Powerful View of Christ Crucified ”
I have been listening to the series to and from work. This afternoon I was able to listen to the second half of the sermon after hearing the first half on the way to work this morning. I found myself shouting "Glory" and crying for joy as Dr. Martin described the active work of Christ the High Priest on the cross! What love He had for HIs Father's glory! What a tremendous sermon - I will listen again and again.

Sermon3/27/14 4:30 PM
Thomas Sullivan from Jenison, MI  Contact via emailFind all comments by Thomas Sullivan
An Alarm to the Unregenerate
Thomas Boston
“ We need this kind of preaching today. ”
A friend got me to looking through these Thomas Boston narrations because he said he was so fond of Thomas Boston that he sleeps with a volume of his works under his pillow. I told him I agreed, that this is what our country needs a Boston T. party. Back about 1985, I found my first copy of Fourfold State in a used book store in Alexandra, VA. I narrated from that book, which I suppose is about from 1850, on cassettes at least two times and parts of it a third time. Boston, calling natural man a spiritual monster wrote," his heels are lifted up against heaven--which his heart should be set on, Acts 9:5. His face is towards hell, his back towards heaven; and therefore God calls to him to turn. He loves what he should hate, and hates what he should love. He joys in what he ought to mourn for, and mourns for what he should rejoice in. He glories in his shame, and is ashamed of his glory."

Sermon3/22/14 1:09 PM
Michael Williams from Texas City, TX  Contact via emailFind all comments by Michael Williams
comments
This is the most powerful and helpful material I have EVER heard on effectual preaching. I was never given this in seminary. After listening to the entire series, I feel as if a real pastor has walked me through the experiences of his own life in regards to preaching.

Sermon3/22/14 4:34 AM
Elizabeth A. Barnard from Italy  Contact via emailFind all comments by Elizabeth A. Barnard
comments
I love the Bible centred Church that brings Gods truth as the final revelation by the Holy Spirit to the Church and acknowledeges this as such. That whiich was revealed to the Saints and recorded in the Bible being the full and final revelation.

Sermon3/17/14 6:49 PM
Faye from Atlanta, GA (USA)  Find all comments by Faye
comments
“ Appreciate It !! ”
Thanks !! Puritan, Covenanters, et.al for scripture reference correction. The Isaiah 64:10 in my comment was a typo on my part. I'm glad that you saw it and made the correction (Isaiah 63:10). Faye

Sermon3/17/14 7:56 AM
Pauline from Hampshire UK  Contact via emailFind all comments by Pauline
Limited Atonement
Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson
A sermon of great doctrine and beauty in glorifying our precious Lord

Sermon3/14/14 7:18 PM
“ Why believers NEED this Psalm ”
When businesses face litigation because they will not cater to what in our day are labeled civil-rights, we feel like Asaph. PS 73:3 I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. But this Psalm shows that God takes notice. v. 11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. 12 If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. V. 11 "God is angry." The original expression here is very forcible. The true idea of it appears to be, to froth or foam at the mouth with indignation. Richard Mant, D.D., 1824. So when Asaph considered their end he concluded, " Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. 22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee." Or as Edwards wrote that the wrath of God will utterly undo the subject of it. And though now we think God is too silent, the day is coming when even rocks and mountains won't be a refuge to those who are His enemies. We must pray that God MERCIFULLY interpose, or as Edwards wrote, unhappy man that shall understand His wrath by feeling it.

Sermon3/14/14 6:59 AM
Puritans, Covenanters, et al. from Edmonton, Alberta  Protected NameFind all comments by Puritans, Covenanters, et al.
comments
“ God's Anger With the USA & Other Nations, Free MP3 ”
Thanks for your comment Faye! It is very perceptive and you made a pertinent choice in the Scripture verse you cited. However, the verse is actually Isaiah 63:10, not Isaiah 64:10, which we mention so that this does not confuse anyone who may look up that verse. We've also listed many more of Dr. Steven Dilday's free MP3s at http://ow.ly/uA7uE (on our site at PuritanDownloads.com), as he has preached many other fine sermons -- and we (SWRB) point to some of his best sermons, which are also free MP3s on SermonAudio, on this Web page.

Sermon3/14/14 3:00 AM
comments
Very good. Thank you.

Sermon3/13/14 7:18 PM
Faye from Atlanta, GA (USA)  Find all comments by Faye
comments
“ A NATION IN REBELLION !! ”
It is good that you, Pastor Dilday, are not bashful about pointing out that God is presently judging America. Often through providence, God punishes national sins by national calamities. America’s biggest problem is that she has made God Himself her enemy. She insist on ignoring His Sovereignty, takes great delight in spurning His law, and exalts her own way over His will. In so doing, she has separated herself from the very source of all blessing. She is following in the path of the people of Israel of which this was written in Isaiah 64:10: “But they rebelled, and vexed His Holy Spirit: therefore He was turned to be their enemy, and He fought against them.”

Sermon3/11/14 6:14 PM
“ Puritan Applications Abounding ”
This title caught my eye because my pastor is writing a dissertation on the sin of Judas. Written in 1634, this sermon has 8 doctrinal applications. But the puritans would explain that this act of Judas was the fruit of impenitence from small sins. So as I write this, I looked up a quote from William Taylor and his searching comments on the sin of "irritability" Taylor wrote," There is no sin for which we are more ready to excuse ourselves than irritability. I am bold to say that the loss of self-control has its origin in lack of faith, for the time being, in God. We bear a great calamity with composure, because we see God's hand in that; but when it comes to the upsetting of a tea-urn, or the breaking of a valuable ornament by an inexperienced servant, we act as if there was no providence. The leader who is calm in a great crisis, is thrown off his guard by a little breach of discipline; and the Christian who can stand in quiet composure beside the grave of a child, is excited into terrible anger by the removal of an article from its right place on his desk. He thinks it is temperament; but he ought to learn that it is lack of faith in God, and he should be on his guard lest it shut him out from some promised land of usefulness, into which he would otherwise have entered."1879

Sermon3/8/14 5:59 AM
Charles Quinn from Northern Ireland  Contact via emailFind all comments by Charles Quinn
“ A very solem dsermon! ”
More sermons are needed like this.

Sermon3/7/14 7:49 PM
“ A Lancet and Heart Surgery ”
Today I was told by a "professing Christian" that "I was really out there". He meant that I was too strict that I was too narrow. I am narrating part two of this sermon. Not for him, FOR ME. He may not listen to it, I need it. Edwards said,"There are some that make a pretense to religion and will do many things; but when religion comes to pinch hard, they will shift it. If it comes to that, that there is occasion for any great degree of self-denial, or suffering consciously, or running any great venture of their worldly interest, a putting themselves much out of the way, they will excuse themselves. They never consented to be religious upon such terms; they never intended to hurt themselves by being religious. They intended to escape going to hell by it, but they never purposed to undergo any great matter in this world with it." Alexander Allen said that if you can read Edwards' Treatise on the Religious Affections,and still believe in your conversion, you may well have the highest assurance of your faith's reality. So it is in these sermons, the lancet is sharp and it is going to cut.

Sermon3/4/14 6:33 PM
“ About This Sermon: ”
Rare Edwards sermons are kept at the Beinecke Rare Book Room and Manuscript Library, Yale University. The Yale Jonathan Edwards site is at edwards.yale.edu and this is sermon 232. I have not attempted to narrate his sermons on the Parable of the 10 Virgins, but they are also available there as well. Some of these sermons, such as The Shutting of the Door of Mercy, Edwards preached more than once. To properly understand THIS sermon here it would be helpful to add the words, Sinners {Who Remain Unconverted) Are Ordinarily Harder than the Heathen. Some of Edwards's sermon titles alone are very frightening, such as, "When Christ comes, wicked men's hopes of salvation, and seeming evidences of conviction, will at once totally vanish and disappear."

Sermon3/1/14 12:57 AM
comments
Excellent.

Sermon2/28/14 8:57 PM
comments
“ An Amazing Verse ”
I was looking for about an hour through Puritan sermons to put eternal things in eternal perspective in light of the AZ governor vetoing Senate Bill SB 1062. The verse in the 2 Chapter of the 2 Epistle to the Thess. intrigued me and I wanted more light upon it. "God Shall Send Them Strong Delusion" Manton's Doctrine: "That by God's just judgment there is an infatuation upon the followers and abettors of Antichrist that they follow the grossest errors to their own destruction." I thought this appropriate because things that are so self evident and obvious are rejected by the wicked, and that which is most out of the way, foolish, and self-destructive is embraced with an incredible avidity that we can only marvel at it, depressed at it and for them afraid. Since as I type this note I have only a couple of more pages to narrate of the next sermon by Manton, "That they all might be damned" - verse 12. At the same time how can I not sigh and cry for the abominations in the land? Thinking of the words of a fellow puritan, Thomas Watson, who for a cup of pleasure would drink a sea of wrath?

Jump to Page : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 more

Bob Vincent
The Administration of Evil

The Unseen War
Grace Presbyterian Church

Robert Rubino
Theonomy versus Apostasy

We Are All Theonomists Now!
Fellowship Baptist Church

Don Bell
Why does pain exist?

Lantana Grace Church
Sunday - PM

Dr. Baucham: "Simply Astonishing!"

Bauch­am: "Any­one who adm­ires the Pur­it­ans simply must have the Pur­itan Hard Driv­e."
www.puritandownloads.com/sw..