Welcome to our spot on sermonaudio.com | edit page
We at HBC believe:
1. We are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone
2. That Jesus' work on the cross saved us from the penalty of sin (past), the power of sin (present) and from the presence of sin (future)
3. Our mission is to present Christ, pursue obedience to Him and prepare others for Christiain service
4. That the Bible is the infallible Word of God, fully inspired, and without error in the original manuscripts
5. Worship transcends music, it is the very reason why we exist and should be our goal and aim, not only on Sunday but every day of the week, to the glory of Jesus Christ
6. Church is more than one individual or local gathering but is the very bride of Christ, and we therefore align ourselves with other local gatherings as a member of the Shepherds Fellowship of Bible Churches, and Nine Marks Fellowship of Churches.
7. Music at church is meant to exalt Christ and not ourselves.
Our Preaching Convictions:
1. The primary means through which God brings unbelievers to salvation in Christ is through biblical preaching. The kingdom of God is not being put together through man-made tactics to grow churches, entertaining music, or slick rhetoric. Godâ€™s people recognize Christ as their Savior through the preaching of the Bible. Accompanied with diligent prayer, preaching is the means through which God brings His elect to His Son Jesus Christ for salvation.
2. Preaching Godâ€™s word should be expositional (verse-by-verse, paragraph-by-paragraph, chapter-by-chapter, book by book). If Godâ€™s people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6), then preaching the knowledge of Christ is certainly the means of saving them. Though preachers sharing their experiences, using emotional ploys to bring their hearers to attention, or exciting them with funny anecdotes and flowery illustrations, are often honored as great rhetoric, this is not at all what the prophets and apostles did, nor is it what Jesus did. The timeless doctrines found in the Bible taught with conviction in their historical and grammatical context applied to menâ€™s lives through the power of the Holy Spirit is the answer to all of mankindâ€™s problems.
3. The preached message of God should not be reduced to one passage of Scripture out of its context. Christians and non-Christians alike need preaching that confronts them with their sinful depravity and hostility toward God. Proclaiming Christâ€™s resurrection and the hope of eternal life He grants, calling all to repentance and faith, warning those who profess faith in Christ to prove the genuineness of their calling and election through their growth in personal piety and the practice thereof (2 Peter 1:10), are the catalyst for good preaching.
4. A good preacher is not a pep rally leader. He is a chosen vessel, a shepherd, who feeds Christâ€™s sheep. The Word that he preaches has the power to revive the soul and bring a sinnerâ€™s rebellious will into subjection to the lordship of Jesus Christ. Annual â€śrevivalâ€ť meetings are a misnomer, for a true revival is the action of God alone, unscheduled and unplanned by a preacher. Therefore, it is the sovereign grace of God at work when people are compelled to receive Christ or be rededicated to His service. And it comes about through faithful, biblical preaching.
Conversion to Christ should never be attributed to a human â€śdecision for Christ.â€ť It is a supernatural work of God that transforms a sinner into a saint, creating a new creature in Christ. A true conversion to Christ does not occur through altar calls or invitations. Furthermore, water baptism, which should follow oneâ€™s profession of faith in Christ, does not save. What is more, true Gospel preaching does not call men to repeat a prayer or to ask Jesus to â€ścome into their hearts.â€ť Rather it sets forth the saving work of Christ and pleads with men to believe and trust in the person of Jesus Christ, bowing to Him as Lord. Those who profess Christ are warned to prove the validity of their calling and election by bringing forth fruit as evidence of true conversion.
9:00am Sunday School
10:15am Worship Service
Primary Speaker: Lance WaldieLance is an elder and the senior pastor at Harvest Bible Church which he helped plant back in November 2000. Lance has been an adjunct professor at the College of Biblical Studies (www.cbshouston.edu) where he taught Bible exposition and theology. He has been... | more..