SITE NOTICE | MORE..Christian Heritage Collection -- Update! A new portrait has been added to our collection -- Pierre Viret! A collection of original art celebrating the history and heritage of the Christian church. .. click for more info!
* 350 West 26th St.
* Chelsea District of Manhattan NY .. 'a destitute
* 1854: Mr. R. G. Pardee is burdened to start a
Sunday School mission work in this area.
* NYTimes: 'How many inducements were held out to
seduce the young to sin and misery. There were low
dance-houses, gambling dens, drinking saloons, and
palaces of infamy in their midst, whose emissaries
were to be found on almost every street corner.'
* 1852: Commences as an outreach of Marble
* 1855: Manor Chapel Mission officially founded.
* 1857: Jeremiah Lanphier and the NYC Revival (North
* 1859: Ulster (Northern Ireland) Revival.
* 1866: Mission becomes arm of South Reformed
* 1874: Current Church Constructed.
* 1931: Diamond Jubilee Celebrated.
* Drawing on its Dutch roots, the church had its new
building designed in a Flemish Revival style with S
scrolls and curved-stepped gables.
* NYTimes: 'The dedication of a handsome chapel to
the worship of God will be hailed with gratitude by
all interested in the progress of evangelization.'
* By 1880 there were 1000 pupils at the
* The school subsisted on contributions from
individuals and various religious institutions;
however it was generally agreed among the officials
not to ally the school with any single church.
* 1944: Separated from the Reformed Church in
* 1961: Ten enormous apartment buildings are built
(Garment Workers). Suddenly the little Flemish
building, now known as the Manor Community Church,
sat essentially alone in a much-changed setting.
* Manor Community Church continues to survive, its
charming and picturesque structure mostly over
Dr. Bill Jones has helped in the establishment of two churches in otherparts of the country and served as Pastor for 14 years. The past few summers, Bill has had a tremendous outreach ministry in New York preaching in the parks and on the street corners and passing out many thousands of...