members, click to sign in..

4,473 active users!!Bandwidth
THURSDAY
JUL 24, 2014
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
Broadcasters
Local Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -13 min
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
StoresNew Stuff!
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

 
RELIGION, CURRENT EVENTS, TECHNOLOGY Subscribe to the breaking newsWhat is RSS?
FRONT PAGE  |  7/24/2014
Choice News TUESDAY, MAR 20, 2012  |  46 comments  |  2 commentaries
Youth Turned Off by Religion and Politics, Turn Away From Church
Young people are turning away from churches because they associate Christianity with Republican politics, a study reveals.

Political science Professors David Campbell (University of Notre Dame) and Robert Putnam (Harvard University) published their findings, "God and Caesar in America: Why Mixing Religion and Politics Is Bad for Both," in the March/April edition of Foreign Affairs. Campbell and Putnam also wrote American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us (2010), which was recently released in paperback. For that book, they have been surveying the same group of people from 2006 to 2011. The same data was used for the Foreign Affairs article.

One of the most surprising findings from the data they collected, Campbell said in a March 13 interview with The Christian Post, was that people are driven away or toward religious involvement because of their political leanings. In particular, those ...


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
www.christianpost.com

|  FOCUS  |  Audio commentaries on this news item | more..
Commentary for 3/29/12 • 90+
Rusty Grant | Edgewood Reformed Baptist
Play! | RSS
Youth Turn Away From Church • 350+
Sean E. Harris | Berean Baptist Church
Play! | RSS

Why Church Membership?
|  START  |  Recommended sermons | more..
•  The R-Rated Church • Pastor John MacArthur | 10/25/2009
•  Why Church Membership?Dr. Joel Beeke | 1/3/2010
•  Greatest need of the church?Dr. Alan Cairns | 5/11/2009
•  Importance of a Local Church • Mark Dever | 9/12/2007

   05/19/14  |  Americans Claim to Attend Church Much More Than They Do • 4 comments
   04/30/14  |  Can Bad Husbands Really Be Good Pastors? • 17 comments
   04/11/14  |  Churchgoers, Married People Are More Content With Their Love... • 1 comments
   04/01/14  |  51% of US Adults Say Church Is Not Important • 67 comments
   02/21/14  |  Elevation Church 'Emotionally Manipulating' Thousands Into... • 7 comments
MORE RELATED ( CHURCH ) NEWS | MORE..
   07/23/14  |  Obamacare Takes Devastating Blow as Appeals Court Throws Out Key... • 13 comments
   07/22/14  |  Christian Holocaust Underway in Iraq • 21 comments
   07/21/14  |  SermonAudio Tip: SermonAudio App v2.5.8 for Android Mobile... • 50 comments
   07/20/14  |  Christians Responsible for Most 'Hateful Internet Speech,' Says... • 111 comments
   07/19/14  |  Family Behind Hobby Lobby Has New Project: Bible Museum • 3 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   06/02/14  |  A Letter to SermonAudio From a Missionary to Haiti • 10 comments
   02/07/14  |  Bringing the Gospel of John to Every Home in Austin, TX • 31 comments
   01/07/14  |  SermonAudio Partners with RFC for the 2014 Family Conference at... • 1 comments
   01/01/14  |  Happy New Year from SermonAudio! • 29 comments
   12/10/13  |  SermonAudio Broadcaster Loses Historic Church Building To Fire • 3 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   07/24/14  |  As More Schools Ban Paddling, Others Defend It • 1 comments
   07/24/14  |  Peter and the Commissar ‚ÄĒ 50 Years Later • 1 comments
   07/24/14  |  This Guy Recently Revealed Big Plans to Change the Bible • 14 comments
   07/24/14  |  'Their God changes path of rockets in mid-air' • 16 comments
   07/24/14  |  Faith is a ‚Äėvirus‚Äô, columnist claims • 7 comments
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..

COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
Page 1 | Page 2 ·  Found: 46 user comment(s)
News Item3/24/12 12:45 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
SteveR wrote:
Considering this thread should be about youth leaving the Church because of the unseemly unification of Church and Politics, and its propensity to concentrate just on Politics only validates the claim of the study.
How do we tell our kids Mormonism is a lie of the Devil, then embrace a Mormon ONLY because we think he can win? Your point is valid about the fruit of the POTUS, but how good is the fruit of the Mormon? Doesnt he have a track record of questionable social positions?
.. GOP heros like Schwarzenegger? He too was pro choice & pro gay marriage like Obama, but he was a GOP hero
Why do our kids leave? Because we are hypocrites and our kids know it
Ther's the GOP, then there's the RINO GOP. They don't all fit the same mold.

Mormonism is indeed a lie of the devil, but so is POTUS' self proclaimed Christianity, and his claim of Jesus' social gospel. Not sure one is more devilish than the other. Romney at least admits being Mormon, not pretending to be that which he is not.

It's interesting the youth are leaving the church because of said unification with politics, yet are enthralled by politics, for which churchgoers are held in disdain. (In spite of the heading of this thread, it was youth voted Obama in)

26

News Item3/24/12 11:19 AM
John for Jesus | usa  Find all comments by John for Jesus
Young adults are more interested in sex, drugs, partying, and raunchy movies than God. I think partly because of churches that don't teach biblical doctrine or make disciples and also because all of these fleshly things are more readily available and accepted now then in the past.
25

News Item3/24/12 10:36 AM
Democracy isn't Christian  Find all comments by Democracy isn't Christian
SteveR wrote:
Considering this thread should be about youth leaving the Church because of the unseemly unification of Church and Politics, and its propensity to concentrate just on Politics only validates the claim of the study.
How do we tell our kids Mormonism is a lie of the Devil, then embrace a Mormon ONLY because we think he can win? Your point is valid about the fruit of the POTUS, but how good is the fruit of the Mormon? Doesnt he have a track record of questionable social positions?
How about GOP heros like Schwarzenegger? He too was pro choice & pro gay marriage like Obama, but he was a GOP hero
Why do our kids leave? Because we are hypocrites and our kids know it
Democracy divides. Monarchy unites.
24

News Item3/24/12 10:34 AM
SteveR | Upper Midwest  Find all comments by SteveR
Mike wrote:
It's the old by their fruits you will know them thing. We pray for the president, the Congress and the courts to have wisdom, that we may have peace. We can pray for a Mormon as well, and at least it appears he doesn't hate his country.
Considering this thread should be about youth leaving the Church because of the unseemly unification of Church and Politics, and its propensity to concentrate just on Politics only validates the claim of the study.

How do we tell our kids Mormonism is a lie of the Devil, then embrace a Mormon ONLY because we think he can win? Your point is valid about the fruit of the POTUS, but how good is the fruit of the Mormon? Doesnt he have a track record of questionable social positions?

How about GOP heros like Schwarzenegger? He too was pro choice & pro gay marriage like Obama, but he was a GOP hero

Why do our kids leave? Because we are hypocrites and our kids know it

23

News Item3/24/12 8:30 AM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
SteveR wrote:
I know, I had to do a double take on this myself. However, have not the Christians of the GOP chosen to demonize him rather than pray for him? Are they not willing to ask for a Mormon to rule over them instead?
It's the old by their fruits you will know them thing. We pray for the president, the Congress and the courts to have wisdom, that we may have peace. We can pray for a Mormon as well, and at least it appears he doesn't hate his country.
22

News Item3/23/12 10:36 PM
Leaven  Find all comments by Leaven
jpw wrote:
This has a direct impact on the younger generation who is left with an economy based on surveillance technology. Can anyone say soviet?
"2. We [evangelicals] go on sinning so that grace may abound. The secular stereotype of the modern evangelical ‚ÄĒ as a judgmental moralizer ‚ÄĒ is so wrong as to be laughable. Everywhere you go, preachers reject this model entirely, emphasizing, for example, ‚Äúdivorce recovery,‚ÄĚ therapy, and treatment for the consequences of sin. Again, these are worthy things, but Christ and the Apostle Paul also emphasized holiness and discipline. How often has your church actually disciplined adulterers? How often have you intervened in the life of a friend before they made devastating mistakes? Our desire to be liked trumps all, and suffering is the result."

-David French, ACLJ Senior Counsel and PCA member, "Evangelicals’ Collapsing Cultural Influence"

"A little leaven, leavens the whole loaf."

We're exhibiting self-control issues without end. It's no wonder we need surveillance throughout every institute of education, commerce and government.

21

News Item3/23/12 10:14 PM
jpw  Find all comments by jpw
The bailout/debt/eternal foreign provactions thing that is being passed on as 'loving Israel' is such an affront to the gospel.

This has a direct impact on the younger generation who is left with an economy based on surveillance technology. Can anyone say soviet?

I have loved the evangelical church but she is being absorbed into this. And the left-behind voyeurism of end time obsessions taught and warned of a future time of globalism, yet by the policies she pushes and the adventures she supports she is building the very thing she warned her children would be coming. In mental health terms, there is something wrong here.

The adults are not advising the youth well. There are implications in all areas of life for them. I've given the example of how medical students are often required to perform an abortion. Do we pass this info on or just pretend its all good?

If the older generation wants security over faith, the younger generation will having nothing but to leave.

Many will probably go the direction of the emergent church--that will be too bad if so. If the Lord says flee, may they leave and may the church be purified and if the Lord says stay, may they remain faithful. But it is not for us to say.

20

News Item3/23/12 4:53 PM
SteveR | Upper Midwest  Find all comments by SteveR
Mike wrote:
Makes sense, but for the "our current Christian President" part.
I know, I had to do a double take on this myself. However, have not the Christians of the GOP chosen to demonize him rather than pray for him? Are they not willing to ask for a Mormon to rule over them instead?
19

News Item3/23/12 4:13 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
SteveR wrote:
200 posts discussing whether our Sovereign God needs permission from a sinner to bestow Grace
yet just a paltry handful discussing why we cant keep God's Covenant youth in his House.(sigh} Faith Alone, while I understand your point, we do live in a different Era. God's people do not have a wicked king... as we are now 2000+ years into the Reign of Christ awaiting the full number of the Elect.
While our youth are using the unseemly unification of conservative social goals with corporate & military ones when contrasted with our gerrymandered social justice brethren for an excuse to leave the Church, their error doesnt justify our actions. Christians have entered into an unholy alliance in the GOP. A party more interested in Tax Cuts and Military Provacation then the duties our LORD has created us for & now culminating in the probable running of a Mormon(with a poor abortion/deviant marriage track record) against our current Christian President.
Forcefeeding memorization of catechisms(which conflict with one another), cameo Lords Day appearances with evenings viewing the High Priests of the GOP on Fox w/ rants against DNC evil does not work.
Im out of characters
Makes sense, but for the "our current Christian President" part.
18

News Item3/23/12 2:41 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Ah, Heretic, a huge number of priests violate their vows, just by example, Abuse in the Catholic Church and many articles that are on the John Ankerberg site were written by fine Christians whose through the grace of God, e.g. Mike Gendron, left the Romish church and became Christians one of his articles being, Abuse by priests

You reference that joke about a Bible scholar losing his voice? Did Dr. Don Wilkins Really Lose His Voice on a a Recent Taping of The John Ankerberg Show on the New Translations? I suggest you read the excellent commentary on that comic, Texe Marrs, by Dr. James White--

17

News Item3/23/12 2:16 PM
Heretic  Find all comments by Heretic
Jim Lincoln wrote:
Come out of the Catholic Church
Sadly, John "Come out of the Catholic Church" Ankerberg is a notorious heretic. Follow his advice at your soul's risk.

For Father Bartholomew F. Brewer it was a cinch to make a "pilgrimage" from the priesthood to marriage and the working-stiff life. Run this process backwards and almost no one materializes. Just a few married Anglican priests who convert into the Faith and are called into the priesthood. And who pays attention to that?

Thus, only disobedient priests who violate every vow and even the "least of these" receive widespread titillating press. Even the Devil himself, "an angel of light," isn't so maladroit as to fiendishly hurt children in the name of Christ. He's a skosh more subtle than this.

He'd more likely appear as a three-piece Reformed Baptist pastor with 40, totally untarnished, years in the pulpit teaching only two miniscule drops of lethal heresy.

16

News Item3/23/12 2:03 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Faith Alone, of course I would opt out of an apostate form of religion, these Jews were not considered by the prophets, nor are Christians considered Christians who reject the tenants as given in the Bible, as the Romish church does.

This is why we would point out, Come out of the Catholic Church, for the lady of the Romish church or even priests, q.v., to make Pilgrimage From Rome.

15

News Item3/23/12 1:01 PM
SteveR | Upper Midwest  Find all comments by SteveR
Thank you Barry and Blow the dust off for joining this conversation.

Barry, as you suggest Prayer indeed needs to be an essential part of our reform. Prayer & Repentence are essential because our kids clearly have seen what hypocrites we have been.

Blow the dust off (...Your KJV Bible)
While I deeply enjoy reading catechisms, I feel they shouldnt be used as the measuring stick for our youth. Both Pastor and Parent seem to feel they met their obligations with just a class, yet will blame one another if the youth goes astray. Often the youth will be held to the Mosiac law while adults work on the Sabbath, commit adultry, use the Lords name in vain etc with no admonishment.... It turns out to have more of a club atmosphere with different standards for the 30+ crowd with empty words then a place to worship the Lord.

Which makes Confirmation only a pass to join that club in later years

14

News Item3/23/12 11:28 AM
Barry from KY | Northern KY  Find all comments by Barry from KY
SteveR and jpw, great post from both of you. You guys are awsome. I feel the failure to engage the youth is the church bodies fault. It is certainly not the fault of our Lord and Savior. He still beckons. The answer isn't in games and rock music. I don't believe it's in really cool study bibles or anything of the kind. It's been my experience that to engage we have to be engaging, serving and humble. The young adults always respond to someone that is genuine. Reading some of the posts on SA I get confused and I have been on this Christian walk for over 40 years. If we sputter and spew some of this venom in our churches, I'm not surprised we are losing. I pray for a healthier chuch body in America. I feel that right now as it stands, organized religon in America has been corupted by the world. I'm not just talking the liberal mess either.
13

News Item3/23/12 10:57 AM
Blow the dust off  Find all comments by Blow the dust off
SteveR wrote:
Forcefeeding memorization of catechisms(which conflict with one another
The following is a short list of foundational Catechisms (Doesn't include any of the conflicting Confessions of Faith):

Lutheran:
Luther's Large Catechism (1529)
Luther's Small Catechism (1529)

Reformed:
Genevan Catechism (1541)
Heidelberg Catechism (1586)

Westminster Catechisms:
Westminster Larger Catechism (1647)
Westminster Shorter Catechism (1647)

Other Reformed Catechisms:
Basel Catechism (1526)

Baptist Catechisms:
Revision of the Heidelberg Catechism (1680)

Anglican Catechism:
Book of Common Prayer Catechism (1548)

Anabaptist Catechisms

With all of this modern Bible-wrangling and horse-trading even over the most salvation-critical doctrines, why would our children bother memorizing any of these ancient, conflicting and unsettled Q&As? In fact, with this dizzying array of Catechisms and Confessions which are constantly undergoing deletions and revision via SA alone, how could a child believe anything much at all about Jesus?

12

News Item3/23/12 10:32 AM
SteveR | Upper Midwest  Find all comments by SteveR
We can print 500 posts discussing the order of salvation

200 posts discussing whether our Sovereign God needs permission from a sinner to bestow Grace

yet just a paltry handful discussing why we cant keep God's Covenant youth in his House.(sigh} Faith Alone, while I understand your point, we do live in a different Era. God's people do not have a wicked king encouraging sinful behaviour as we are now 2000+ years into the Reign of Christ only awaiting the full number of the Elect.

While our youth are using the unseemly unification of conservative social goals with corporate & military ones when contrasted with our gerrymandered social justice brethren for an excuse to leave the Church, their error doesnt justify our actions. Christians have entered into an unholy alliance in the GOP. A party more interested in Tax Cuts and Military Provacation then the duties our LORD has created us for & now culminating in the probable running of a Mormon(with a poor abortion/deviant marriage track record) against our current Christian President.

Forcefeeding memorization of catechisms(which conflict with one another), cameo Lords Day appearances with evenings viewing the High Priests of the GOP on Fox w/ rants against DNC evil does not work.

Im out of characters

11

News Item3/22/12 9:00 PM
jpw  Find all comments by jpw
do people leave the church or does the church leave the building? maybe we should start to listen to this generation since they must bear the burden of the debt/eternal foreign escapades global politics that dominates both parties..
10

News Item3/22/12 3:11 PM
Faith Alone  Find all comments by Faith Alone
Suppose that as a Gentile just about to convert into the Jewish faith, you purchase the "Jerusalem Times" and read this headline:

"1000s of Jews Sacrificing Children to Mollech."

Would you then opt out of the true faith (and Heaven itself) because of these widespread Hebrew atrocities?

9

News Item3/22/12 2:30 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
John Y., Of course the reason that many Catholic youth are rejecting the Romish church, is because of the horrific amount of hypocrisy that exists in the magisterium, q.v., Vatican reports on Irish child abuse scandals,what I find almost amusing is that His Unholiness wants the Irish Church to be more Catholic. The present Irish Church would be better off if it was more like the one founded by Patrick (214-228). So, Catholic young people both in Ireland and the United States realize this, Should Roman Catholicism really be classified as a Christian religion? -- No.

A church has to preach the gospel, unlike false churches like the mainline ones and the Romish church, have to Proclaim the Word And not just have messages that tickle the ears and ceremonies to impress the eyes.

8

News Item3/22/12 1:58 PM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
The main reason why some of the younger generation are ceasing attending church is that they are coming under the influence of Satan and more interested in this life then in the afterlife. Being more interested in this life then in the afterlife is nothing but secular humanism.
7
There are a total of 46 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Page 1 | Jump to Page : 1 [2] 3 | last
Last PostTotal
Obamacare Takes Devastating Blow as Appeals Court Throws Out...
pursuitoftruth: "sorry! didn't mean to post it twice!"
-2 min 13 
Patheos: Calvinism = Wahhabism?
pursuitoftruth: "what do you mean not necessarily his earlier post john for jesus?..."
-7 min 38 
Christian in Sudan sentenced to death for faith
jim lincoln from nebraska: "see his unholiness 'curse' this woman!..."
-11 min 28 


Therefore Will I Deliver Him
Jeff Arthur
Lots Deliverance and Rapture

Lessons From Lot
Sunday - AM
Elizabeth Baptist Church
Play! | MP3 | RSS

Godly Repentance
Mark Pannell

Sam Powell
Union with Christ

Colossians
First Reformed Church
Play! | MP3

Russ Sukhia
Nature of God, Pt 5 (revised)

The Nature of God (Revised)
Liberty Church, PCA
Transcript!Play! | MP4

Robert Rubino
1517 All Over Again!

Galatians 2:11-20
Fellowship Baptist Church
Play! | MP3

Jason Cooley
Hollywood: Satanic Roots

Hollywood Series
Old Paths Baptist Church
Play! | MP3

E. A. Johnston
Underground Church In America

Ambassadors For Christ Intl-US
Special Meeting
Play! | MP3

Sponsor:
Perfect Fulfillments Of Prophecies!

The Rise & Fall Of Islam, & the Papal Ant­ichr­ist, For­et­old In the Book Of Rev­el­at­ion!
ow.ly/zvwsg

Sermon:
Pride Will Take You Here
Scott T. Brown






                   
It is vain to accuse those whom God acquits. ... Thomas Manton

City: Austin, TX
Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal
MOBILE
iPhone + iPad New!
Church App New!
Android New!
Church App New!
Kindle + Nook New!
BlackBerry
Windows Mobile, Nokia
Chromecast TV New!
ROKU TV
Pebble Smartwatch New!
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription Service
HIFI Option
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domains
Favorites
QR Codes
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword
SOAP API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
SermonAudio.com is the largest library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide. All broadcasters must adhere to the Articles of Faith.

Our Services | Testimonials
Broadcast With Us!
Support Us
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Copyright © 2014 SermonAudio.com.