members, click to sign in..

3,120 active users!!Bandwidth
MONDAY
SEP 22, 2014
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
Broadcasters
Local Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff PicksNew Stuff!
CommentsALL -54 min
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
StoresNew Stuff!
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

 
RELIGION, CURRENT EVENTS, TECHNOLOGY Subscribe to the breaking newsWhat is RSS?
FRONT PAGE  |  9/22/2014
WEDNESDAY, APR 17, 2013  |  20 comments
Hobby Lobby Raises Full-Time Minimum Wage to $14

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., a privately held retail chain with more than 500 arts and crafts stores in 45 states, announced Monday a minimum-wage increase to $14 per hour for full-time hourly employees of Hobby Lobby and its affiliate, Hemispheres, effective immediately. The company also announced a minimum wage increase for all part-time employees to $9.50 per hour.

This is the fifth year in a row that the company has raised wages for full-time hourly employees, who earned a minimum of $13 per hour in 2012. It's the fourth year in a row for the company to increase the minimum wage for its part-time hourly employees, up from a minimum of $9 in 2012. ...


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
www.charismanews.com

Response to economic crisis?
  START  
  Recommended sermons | more..
•  Biblical Economics • Pastor John MacArthur | 6/15/2010
•  Covetousness, Sin of Our Time • Dr. Stephen Jones | 2/17/2006
•  Response to economic crisis?Dr. Alan Cairns | 3/9/2009
•  Is My Name Demas • Dr. Bob Jones III | 1/12/2007

   09/07/14  |  Record 92,269,000 Not in Labor Force • 2 comments
   09/03/14  |  Fed: US consumers have decided to 'hoard money'
   07/19/14  |  Gov't Report: Taxes Will Go Up, Especially for the Poor • 6 comments
   07/04/14  |  Record Number of Americans Not in Labor Force in June • 10 comments
   06/26/14  |  Economy in freefall? • 3 comments
MORE RELATED ( ECONOMY ) NEWS | MORE..
   09/17/14  |  SermonAudio Tip: SermonAudio iPhone + iPad Edition v3.8! • 98 comments
   09/16/14  |  ISIS 'Won't Be Afraid To Put A Bomb In Lower Manhattan' • 14 comments
   09/14/14  |  Islamic State claims beheading of British hostage: SITE • 6 comments
   09/14/14  |  Scottish independence campaign lead before vote - ICM poll • 24 comments
   09/14/14  |  Atheist Bill Maher Defends Christians as Host Charlie Rose... • 11 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   06/02/14  |  A Letter to SermonAudio From a Missionary to Haiti • 10 comments
   02/07/14  |  Bringing the Gospel of John to Every Home in Austin, TX • 31 comments
   01/07/14  |  SermonAudio Partners with RFC for the 2014 Family Conference at... • 1 comments
   01/01/14  |  Happy New Year from SermonAudio! • 29 comments
   12/10/13  |  SermonAudio Broadcaster Loses Historic Church Building To Fire • 3 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   09/22/14  |  Baptists 'humbled' by failure to oppose Nazis • 2 comments
   09/22/14  |  'I Play an Atheist,' Bill Maher Says
   09/22/14  |  Rand Paul blisters Obama and Clinton
   09/22/14  |  Paypal Co-Founder Peter Thiel on Mission to Cheat Death Through... • 1 comments
   09/22/14  |  Pope in Albania Urges Muslims to Condemn Extremism • 2 comments
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..

COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 20 user comment(s)
News Item4/20/13 1:16 PM
Tee Hee  Find all comments by Tee Hee
Mike wrote:
Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about. Don't participate in the economic nonsensible part of business economics. Participate only in the sensible part of business economics.
20

News Item4/20/13 1:01 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
John Yurich USA wrote:
A business owner should only be concerned about being cheap and saving money. If every business just used temp workers then there would be dependable temp workers because there would just be temp positions available, no permanent positions available.
Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about. Don't participate in the economic nonsensible part of business economics. Participate only in the sensible part of business economics.
19

News Item4/20/13 12:25 PM
Unprofitable Servant | Georgia  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
John Yurich USA wrote:
A business owner should only be concerned about being cheap and saving money. If every business just used temp workers then there would be dependable temp workers because there would just be temp positions available, no permanent positions available.
Being "cheap" does not necessarily equal saving money. A business is out there to maximize their profits, if they thought that hiring temps for all positions would do that, then they would. Obviously, the way the free market (and I know our market is not totally free)works is that you put out the best goods and services for the most competitive price and people will come pay for it. Hobby Lobby is successfully proving that good employees are worth their cost. You may not agree with their business model, but it seems to be helping their bottom line. You cannot keep good help if you don't pay them money, they will find work some place that pays them their worth. How many times have you gone to a restaurant and gotten lousy service or food and said you won't return. Cheap cost them money not saved them.
18

News Item4/20/13 12:15 PM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
SteveR wrote:
Temps are too often very poor & undependable workers. When you do find a good employee from the temp agency, hire them as fast as you can because someone else will leaving you with the dregs
A business owner should only be concerned about being cheap and saving money. If every business just used temp workers then there would be dependable temp workers because there would just be temp positions available, no permanent positions available.
17

News Item4/20/13 11:40 AM
SteveR  Find all comments by SteveR
John Yurich USA wrote:
Well then how come every business doesn't want to save money by just using temp workers?
Temps are too often very poor & undependable workers. When you do find a good employee from the temp agency, hire them as fast as you can because someone else will leaving you with the dregs
16

News Item4/20/13 11:27 AM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
Christopher000 wrote:
You are right in that, financially, using a temp agency works out in the employers favor, for sure. They pay a flat fee, avoiding health/dental insurance, workman's comp, any 401k contributions, etc., etc.
Well then how come every business doesn't want to save money by just using temp workers?
15

News Item4/20/13 10:10 AM
Christopher000 | Rhode Island  Find all comments by Christopher000
You are right in that, financially, using a temp agency works out in the employers favor, for sure. They pay a flat fee, avoiding health/dental insurance, workman's comp, any 401k contributions, etc., etc.
14

News Item4/20/13 10:01 AM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
Christopher000 wrote:
Temp agencies have their pros and cons and most prospects will be actively seeking permanent positions elsewhere, or even, higher paid positions that become available with the agency while on temporary work assignments.
If every business would just use temp workers then no worker would seek permanent positions as there would not be any permanent positions available anywhere. It costs a business less to use temp workers then to have workers on their payroll. Using temp workers would only involve paying the temp agency whatever they charge for the use of their temp workers. Which would be less then paying wages and benefits to employees on the business payroll.
13

News Item4/19/13 10:59 PM
Crissy | USA Texas  Find all comments by Crissy
What a wonderful thing they do!
12

News Item4/18/13 3:09 PM
Christopher000 | Rhode Island  Find all comments by Christopher000
Not to mention that temporary employees have no 401k or other retirement plan they pay Into.
11

News Item4/18/13 3:06 PM
Christopher000 | Rhode Island  Find all comments by Christopher000
Temp agencies have their pros and cons and most prospects will be actively seeking permanent positions elsewhere, or even, higher paid positions that become available with the agency while on temporary work assignments. The employers know this and it's the reason they won't spend lengthy time training temp workers because most of them will be actively searching for permanent work elsewhere while at their disposal. That's why they look to hire experienced people who can jump right in to any available position.
Temp agencies, because of what they provide, are very expensive; paying the temps a fraction. Temp agencies also contribute to job erosion in the modern market because of what employers really use them for.
Temps can't be promoted, and unless they want to be employed permanently by a specific company, which usually isn't the case, their ambition is often grossly lacking.
10

News Item4/18/13 2:00 PM
TheOrignalBob | USA  Find all comments by TheOrignalBob
Unprofitable Servant wrote:
....Remember companies DON'T exist to create jobs, they are there to make a profit..."

Making a profit must come 2nd to honoring God. If Hobby Lobby feels that their employees need or deserve a higher level of income then hats off to them! Sounds like to me Hobby Lobby puts people above Greed!

9

News Item4/18/13 1:36 PM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
Unprofitable Servant wrote:
Hobby Lobby does not use a temp agency to hire its workers, that I know of. If they go to using all temps, would that not require layoffs of all their current workers?
If Hobby Lobby laid off their current workers then the current workers could go to work for temp agencies then they would go back to work at Hobby Lobby as temp workers who could remain at Hobby Lobby for years.
8

News Item4/18/13 12:59 PM
San Jose John | San Jose, CA  Find all comments by San Jose John
Hobby Lobby and others like them could do both. Give their proven valuable workers a higher minimum wage (with normal raises every year) while filtering all new employees through the temp process to see which ones are worth keeping or not.

Incidentally a similar phenomena would likely occur even if there were NO minimum wage. All new employees would be paid very little until they proved themselves. Those discontent with the low pay would leave for greener pastures while the ones given raises would stay. Everyone wins, until somebody gets upset and sues for discrimination, which is probably yet another reason the minimum wage concept in this country has been so enduring.

7

News Item4/18/13 12:52 PM
Unprofitable Servant  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
persective lens wrote:
Perhaps JY is arguing that Hobby Lobby could mitigate its inevitable losses. If HL owners hired indirect employees, they wouldn't risk losing their business and laying off thousands (like Hostess did last year) simply because of their strongly held religious beliefs.
Maybe JY is more concerned for the long-term viability of thousands of families and not just a short-term shot in the arm of offering an employee $14 per hour plus healthcare benefits today.
Forgive me for not understanding your perspective. Right now Hobby Lobby does not use a temp agency to hire its workers, that I know of. If they go to using all temps, would that not require layoffs of all their current workers?
6

News Item4/18/13 12:03 PM
persective lens  Find all comments by persective lens
Perhaps JY is arguing that Hobby Lobby could mitigate its inevitable bankruptcy. If HL owners hired indirect employees, they wouldn't risk losing their business and laying off thousands (like Hostess did last year) simply because of their strongly held religious beliefs.

Maybe JY is more concerned for the long-term viability of thousands of families and not just a short-term shot in the arm of offering an employee $14 per hour plus healthcare benefits today.

Barry from KY wrote:
Are you a temporary employee John Y or do you own a temp agency. You say this every time there is a story relating to employment.
I agree Unprofitable Servant, hats off to Hobby Lobby. My wife shops there quite often!
5

News Item4/18/13 10:20 AM
Barry from KY | Northern KY  Find all comments by Barry from KY
John Yurich USA wrote:
Why would Hobby Lobby want to have employees on their payroll when they can use temp workers from temp agencies and only pay however much the temp agencies charge to use their temp workers? Any business that has employees on their payroll instead of using temp workers is nuts.
Are you a temporary employee John Y or do you own a temp agency. You say this every time there is a story relating to employment.
I agree Unprofitable Servant, hats off to Hobby Lobby. My wife shops there quite often!
4

News Item4/18/13 9:40 AM
Unprofitable Servant | Georgia  Find all comments by Unprofitable Servant
John Yurich USA wrote:
Why would Hobby Lobby want to have employees on their payroll when they can use temp workers from temp agencies and only pay however much the temp agencies charge to use their temp workers? Any business that has employees on their payroll instead of using temp workers is nuts.
maybe they value their employees and figure if they are not just there to punch a clock (i.e. a temp worker) they will take more pride in their company and their work. Hobby Lobby has no guarantee anyone will walk through its doors to buy their product. They must figure if they offer top notch products and service at reasonable prices they will create a market. They obviously feel a temp worker will not help them reach that objective. Remember companies DON'T exist to create jobs, they are there to make a profit. Workers are agents to facilitate that goal. Hats off to Hobby Lobby IMHO.
3

News Item4/18/13 9:16 AM
John Yurich USA | USA  Find all comments by John Yurich USA
Why would Hobby Lobby want to have employees on their payroll when they can use temp workers from temp agencies and only pay however much the temp agencies charge to use their temp workers? Any business that has employees on their payroll instead of using temp workers is nuts.
2

News Item4/17/13 10:55 PM
Kat | USA  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kat
Awesome...may God continue to bless your faithfullness!
1
There are a total of 20 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Last PostTotal
Baptists 'humbled' by failure to oppose Nazis
jim lincoln from nebraska: "http://www.ianpaisley.org/ar..."
-49 min 
Paypal Co-Founder Peter Thiel on Mission to Cheat Death...
m c: "psalms 23:4 yea, though i walk through the valley of the shadow of deathn, i..."
-51 min 
Pope in Albania Urges Muslims to Condemn Extremism
jim lincoln from nebraska: "i guess this pope does have a sense of humor. :ugh:..."
-1 hrs 


Audio Bible: 2 Corinthians 11
Kevin Swanson
Polygamy Legalized in America

Will Pastors Oppose Incest?
Current Events
Generations Radio
Play! | MP3 | RSS


Mark B. Lawless
Laodicean Evangelism

Current Events
Battlefield Baptist Church
Play! | MP3

Bob Vincent
You Do not Ask

Why do we lack?
Grace Presbyterian Church
Play! | MP3

Frank DeJuana
Fruitful Service

Fruitful Service
Trinity Baptist Church
Video!Play! | MP4

Mark B. Lawless
Making Sense of Holy Scripture

Sundry Sermons
Battlefield Baptist Church
Play! | MP3

Event: Jan 22-24, 2015
G3 Conference 2015

The Bible is the Word of God
Conference
Pray's Mill Baptist Church

Sponsor:
Bible's Providential Preservation

Free MP3s: King James Vers­ion, Other Vers­ions, Textus Rec­ept­us, Mas­or­etic Text, Etc.
www.puritandownloads.com/th..

Sermon: 9/11 Memorial and Apostasy
Robert Rubino






                   
Grace in the soul is heaven in that soul. ... Matthew Henry

Las Vegas, NV
  22   DAYS LEFT
Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal
MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
Church App
Android
Church App
Kindle + Nook
BlackBerry
Windows Mobile, Nokia
Chromecast TV
ROKU TV
Pebble Smartwatch
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription Service
HIFI Option
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domains
Favorites
QR Codes
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword
SOAP API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
SermonAudio.com is the largest library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide. All broadcasters must adhere to the Articles of Faith.

Our Services | Testimonials
Broadcast With Us!
Support Us
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Copyright © 2014 SermonAudio.com.