members, click to sign in..

2,370 active users!Bandwidth
MONDAY
APR 21, 2014
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
BroadcastersNew Stuff!
Local Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff PicksNew Stuff!
CommentsALL -50 min
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
StoresNew Stuff!
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

 
MONDAY, APRIL 21, 2014 | TIPS Subscribe to the breaking newsWhat is RSS?
COVER Page ALL News CHOICE VIDEOS User COMMENTS
SATURDAY, DEC 29, 2012| 13 comments
US Soldier Suicides Outnumber Combat Deaths In 2012
American soldier suicides continue to outnumber combat-related deaths in 2012, and the trajectory for soldier suicides continues to get worse.

Statistics released by the Department of the Army show that through November potentially 303 active-duty, Reserve and National Guard soldiers committed suicide. As of Dec. 7, Stars and Stripes reports that 212 soldiers have died in combat-related deaths in Afghanistan.

The Army set a grim new record of 177 potential active-duty cases with 2012 coming to a close on Tuesday – 64 of these cases remain under investigation, 113 have been confirmed. ...


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
washington.cbslocal.com

   12/12/13  |  Why Are So Many Pastors Committing Suicide? • 285 comments
   11/23/13  |  Euthanasia Activists Push to Legalize Assisted Suicide, Next...
   08/11/13  |  Battle Erupts Over Marine Corps Training Doc That Cites ‘Lack or... • 1 comments
   06/04/13  |  Rash of Kentucky lawyer suicides concerns colleagues • 4 comments
   05/22/13  |  Vermont Becomes Third State to Legalize Assisted Suicide • 5 comments
MORE RELATED ( SUICIDE ) NEWS | MORE..
   04/20/14  |  China on course to become 'world's most Christian nation' within... • 14 comments
   04/16/14  |  SermonAudio Tip: SermonAudio App v2.2 for Android Mobile Devices • 48 comments
   04/16/14  |  As Titanic sank, he pleaded, 'believe in the Lord Jesus!' • 9 comments
   04/13/14  |  Feminists Go Bonkers Over Kirsten Dunst’s One, Simple Comment • 40 comments
   04/13/14  |  U2's Bono Opens Up About Jesus, God And Praying With His Kids • 11 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   02/07/14  |  Bringing the Gospel of John to Every Home in Austin, TX • 31 comments
   01/07/14  |  SermonAudio Partners with RFC for the 2014 Family Conference at... • 1 comments
   01/01/14  |  Happy New Year from SermonAudio! • 29 comments
   12/10/13  |  SermonAudio Broadcaster Loses Historic Church Building To Fire • 3 comments
   07/27/13  |  3 Dead When Bus Carrying Teens Crashes in Indiana • 34 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   04/21/14  |  The passion of the Christian
   04/21/14  |  Obama Goes to Baptist Church for Easter • 1 comments
   04/21/14  |  Lincoln police arrest man distributing Christian tracts • 1 comments
   04/21/14  |  Christian nursery worker 'sacked after refusing to read gay... • 1 comments
   04/21/14  |  Stop dressing so tacky for church
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..

COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 13 user comment(s)
News Item11/12/13 12:59 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Neil, I find your comments interesting. It's a pity I miss them the first time. Yes manifest destiny, was an American policy or perhaps ideal long before the Civil War, and southerners had a different take on it because of slavery. They did want to expand and to Mexico and Cuba. America's imperialist stage might have been influenced from those past ideas in the Spanish American War. However, I would think World War 1, World War 2, and the Korean War showed that America did display higher principles. That might be even said in the Vietnam War. But baby face Bush reverted to the old ideas. How much freedom is there now in Afghanistan? Last Jew in Afghanistan faces ruin as kebabs fail to sell
13

News Item12/31/12 3:45 PM
Neil | Tucson  Find all comments by Neil
Rufus wrote:
American Imperialism which started sometime around 1861 would you say?
Even before that, Southerners were the real imperialists, in the name of slavery & Manifest Destiny. I'm not exaggerating: aside from the Mexican War, which was most popular in the South (& which Lincoln opposed while a Congressman), filibustering, a violation of the 1794 Neutrality Act, was popular among Southerners such as William Walker. He was the "Man of Destiny" all right — he ultimately got shot by a firing squad, exactly what he deserved for trying to set up his own little American slave colony in Nicaragua.

Long before the Civil War, the South recognized that to keep their "Peculiar Institution" politically viable, they needed territory.

12

News Item12/31/12 3:37 PM
Rufus | Fort Worth, TX  Protected NameFind all comments by Rufus
Neil wrote:
Remember that Butler died before Dubya & current soldiers were born. The only relevance of that quote is that American imperialism, whether in the name of industry profits or hubris, is a Progressive obsession. There's a logic to it: if gov't is needed to solve citizens' social problems, then it takes only a little leap to conclude that it's good for foreigners, too.
American Imperialism which started sometime around 1861 would you say?
11

News Item12/31/12 3:31 PM
Neil | Tucson  Find all comments by Neil
Jim Lincoln wrote:
You would see why present day troops are having such a hard time.
Remember that Butler died before Dubya & current soldiers were born. The only relevance of that quote is that American imperialism, whether in the name of industry profits or hubris, is a Progressive obsession. There's a logic to it: if gov't is needed to solve citizens' social problems, then it takes only a little leap to conclude that it's good for foreigners, too.

Thomas Brackett Reed was one Republican Congressman who seemed to understand this; he opposed the Spanish American War, as did McKinley at first, but was overruled by Progressive hotheads in both parties.

10

News Item12/31/12 2:21 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Ah, if you read,

U.S. Marine Corps Major General, Smedley Butler wrote:
I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
--Banana Wars You would see why present day troops are having such a hard time.
9

News Item12/30/12 9:00 AM
Jj | USA  Find all comments by Jj
@jpw the soldiers of World War 2 went a lot of shell shock, possibly even more. The Soldiers of today are surrounded by constant Negative influences, not just from battle but also their peers. The common soldier's Morality has dropped quite a bit. My father has PTSD and deals with it quite frequently, and my grandfather definitely had some things to Mourn over after Vietnam as did my other grandfather.
8

News Item12/29/12 11:09 PM
jpw  Find all comments by jpw
if they mourned for what they saw, would anyone even notice?

I wonder if the WWII soldiers who returned could have carried the burden of what this generation has endured?

7

News Item12/29/12 7:21 PM
Rufus | Fort Worth, TX  Protected NameFind all comments by Rufus
Sapphy wrote:
Why? Why do these things happen?
The reasons are myriad but amongst the reasons is, they are told what they are doing is noble and right, but the reality, they come to discover, is different.
6

News Item12/29/12 6:51 PM
Neil | Tucson  Find all comments by Neil
Mike wrote:
Problem is, soldiers have firearms. That's what they do isn't it?
In general yes, but do not assume they always let soldiers have ready access to their weapons. Fear of fragging might be one reason. And I know a fellow who said he was unable to defend himself against a wild boar while on exercise in Germany, because he was Signal Corps, not infantry. Maybe this is why some go crazy in the military ― "Catch 22" & all that.

Back in the more laissez-faire 19th century, many Union soldiers purchased their own Henry repeating rifles because such guns were generally not procured as std. weapons. Yet the Army was not completely stupid, & did procure & supply repeating Spencers (at Lincoln's demand) to some Union units who used them successfully. “Load on Sunday & shoot all week” was the opinion of disgusted Confederates who faced them.

5

News Item12/29/12 6:27 PM
CAS | S.Cal  Find all comments by CAS
While all service members would surely agree that multiple deployments take a toll, I believe Mike NY sees the bigger picture when he references societal problems as a whole.

A recent article below speaks of the rise in civilian suicide surpassing auto related deaths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEaflHQbwI

4

News Item12/29/12 6:07 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
Sapphy wrote:
Why? Why do these things happen?
They happen because the data is needed to promote government preventive mental healthcare.

Suicide among civilian males is about 4x that of females. The male/female ratio in the military is approx 6:1. How would the mil vs civilian suicide rates compare if the comparison were based on equal footing? Would they be that different?

The issue is being brought up now because of its "convenient" 2-week proximity to the murders in Connecticut, which was also followed by calls for preventive mental healthcare.

“So we’re dealing with broader societal issues,” (Sec'y Defense)Panetta said in a June speech. “Substance abuse, financial distress and relationship problems — the risk factors for suicide — also reflect problems … that will endure beyond war.”

June speech, December news. Surprise, it fits.

Also from the news item: "A bipartisan group of lawmakers from both the House and the Senate are pushing for new rules that would allow military commanders and mental health specialists to ask unstable troops if they own personal firearms, reports Stars and Stripes"

Familiar ring? (It's the gun that's the problem.) Problem is, soldiers have firearms. That's what they do isn't it?

3

News Item12/29/12 3:08 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
They happen because soldiers serve much longer terms than draftees and are in combat zones longer than they should be.

I really, really despise the draft. However, if the draft was re-instituted, wars wouldn't last or be supported such as those of Banana_War Bush.

The volunteer troops now are highly patriotic and highly cherished (or should be) resource of the Nation. They are not of unlimited supply and even their absence from the country is a detriment to the country. It's time to stop treating them as expendable as indeed no one is, but they even should be more carefully conserved for wars where this country supports implementing our 1st Amendment into the laws of the countries we help.

2

News Item12/29/12 2:45 PM
Sapphy :)  Find all comments by Sapphy :)
Why? Why do these things happen?
1
There are a total of 13 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Last PostTotal
Jew 'registration' leaflets open Holocaust wounds
jim lincoln from nebraska: "so that's what mike of new york was griping about...."
-49 min 15 
Christian nursery worker 'sacked after refusing to read gay...
jim linxoln from nebraska: "prime minister cameron should step in and make sure..."
-1 hrs 
Obama Goes to Baptist Church for Easter
jim linxoln from nebraska: "i would be surprised if a baptist church wouldn't..."
-1 hrs 


Naaman the Syrian


James Taylor (Redhill)
Let Me Hear Thy Voice

Hope Chapel Redhill
Prayer Meeting
Play! | MP3

Jon Couch
Contending Or Pretending?

This Day Ministries
Radio Broadcast
Play! | MP3

Lewis Kiger
Angels Elect and Evil

Baptist Bible Doctrine in 1yr
Memorial Heights Baptist
Play! | MP3

Jason Shults
The humility of Christ

Memorial Heights Baptist
Sunday Service
Play! | MP3

Sponsor:
Paul Washer: "Most Useful Bible Study"

See what Paul Washer calls the most useful Bible study tool in hist­ory. Click here!
www.puritandownloads.com/sw..

Sermon:
Imitating Evil Or Good?
Jon Couch






                   
Nothing less than a living sacrifice is demanded. ... J. Pearce
Site-Wide RSS & Podcast | Help
Select Podcast Format | Help

HTML Embed | More
Flash Widget | More
Our Staff Picks | Info
Featured Sermon | More

City: Austin, TX
Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal
MOBILE
iPhone + iPad New!
Church App
Android New!
Kindle + Nook New!
BlackBerry
Windows Mobile, Nokia
ROKU TV
Kindle Reader

FOLLOW
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
HELP
RSS & Podcasts
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Favorites
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

NEWSLETTER
View Latest Issue
Subscribe
Unsubscribe | Change
Privacy Policy
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription Service
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domains
QR Codes New!
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes | WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | API | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
SermonAudio.com is the largest library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide. All broadcasters must adhere to the Articles of Faith.
Our Services | Testimonials
Broadcast With Us!
Support Us
Advertising | Local Ads

CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Copyright © 2014 SermonAudio.com.