members, click to sign in..

3,888 active users!!Bandwidth
FRIDAY
AUG 1, 2014
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
Broadcasters
Local Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -2 hrs
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
Stores
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

 
RELIGION, CURRENT EVENTS, TECHNOLOGY Subscribe to the breaking newsWhat is RSS?
FRONT PAGE  |  8/1/2014
WEDNESDAY, DEC 5, 2012  |  11 comments
Christians prefer 'friendship evangelism'

Most Christians believe that sharing their faith with friends is an effective form of evangelism, a new survey suggests.

The survey, Confidently sharing the gospel?, was undertaken by the Evangelical Alliance to determine whether Christians are still evangelising in the 21st century.

It found a shift in the way that Christians are speaking about their faith, from the open air preaching that typified the evangelism of the 19th and early to mid 20th centuries, to more intimate settings.


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
au.christiantoday.com

Interview with Young Atheist
|  START  |  Recommended sermons | more..
•  Hell's Best Kept Secret • Ray Comfort | 5/17/2012
•  Interview with Young AtheistDr. Bill Jones | 6/18/2008
•  Youth Emphasis MessagePastor Joe Roof | 9/7/2008
•  Ten Shekels and a Shirt • Paris Reidhead | 1/1/1980

   07/02/14  |  Children's Christian ministry called 'psychologically harmful to... • 10 comments
   06/22/14  |  MLB Umpires flock to Pastor Dean to be baptized • 3 comments
   04/14/14  |  David Cameron Says Britain Must Stand Up Against Global... • 33 comments
   01/08/14  |  Most Christians not sharing the Gospel • 12 comments
   12/24/13  |  Is Evangelism Going Out of Style? • 30 comments
MORE RELATED ( EVANGELISM ) NEWS | MORE..
   06/02/14  |  A Letter to SermonAudio From a Missionary to Haiti • 10 comments
   02/07/14  |  Bringing the Gospel of John to Every Home in Austin, TX • 31 comments
   01/07/14  |  SermonAudio Partners with RFC for the 2014 Family Conference at... • 1 comments
   01/01/14  |  Happy New Year from SermonAudio! • 29 comments
   12/10/13  |  SermonAudio Broadcaster Loses Historic Church Building To Fire • 3 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..

COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 11 user comment(s)
News Item12/11/12 5:29 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Leah wrote:
John, I understand how easy it is to let things slide and before u know it, years have passed. However, the longer we leave it, the harder it becomes. Prayer is a big key as I'm sure u know. Pray not just for their salvation, but the opportunities to witness. Sharing your testimony can be a great opener into a deeper conversation, as no one knows u like your family.
And can I encourage u, that as hard as it is, it would be harder if they don't hear it and they die in their sins.
Regarding your sister, we know that none can come unless the Father draws them. We witness, but it is God Who saves. I have had to rest in that fact with some members of my own family who have heard the truth several times now and yet are not saved.
God bless u.
Thank you Leah for your encouraging words. Yes, my father died a long time ago and was faithless. Two years ago my mother died, and I travelled to see her just four days before she expired and told her that Jesus could bring her safely into heaven if she would only ask him to. But I held out little hope of her responding. As you say, only God can draw to Christ. But for several months after she passed on, I felt very sad that my own mother was languishing in hell, even though it was just.
11

News Item12/10/12 6:50 PM
Leah | Australia  Find all comments by Leah
John, I understand how easy it is to let things slide and before u know it, years have passed. However, the longer we leave it, the harder it becomes. Prayer is a big key as I'm sure u know. Pray not just for their salvation, but the opportunities to witness. Sharing your testimony can be a great opener into a deeper conversation, as no one knows u like your family.
And can I encourage u, that as hard as it is, it would be harder if they don't hear it and they die in their sins.
Regarding your sister, we know that none can come unless the Father draws them. We witness, but it is God Who saves. I have had to rest in that fact with some members of my own family who have heard the truth several times now and yet are not saved.
God bless u.
10

News Item12/10/12 6:43 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Leah wrote:
Thanks John. I agree. Our approach should always be in a loving and gentle spirit. However, we know that to some we are the aroma of life, to others the smell of death. It is inevitable that some will be offended, which is exactly my point regarding friendship evangelism.
The hardest people to witness to are our family and friends because if they get offended then we risk losing our relationship. So most people put it off waiting for the 'right moment', with excuse after excuse ('I don't know them well enough', 'I haven't earned the right to witness to them', 'I don't want to offend them and push them further away', 'I don't want to lose the opportunity to share with them later'). Unfortunately too often a lot of Christians wait until it is too late and they (their family or friends) die in their sin.
Yes, your every point is spot on and hitting the mark. I don't see very much of my natural family. In fact, I don't really see them as my family, since God put me in the family of God. But I am amazed at how little witnessing I have accomplished with them, fearing a complete breakdown of relationship. But this year, on a short break with my sister, some truths came out which caused a big rumpus. It was hard going.
9

News Item12/9/12 8:14 PM
Leah | Australia  Find all comments by Leah
Thanks John. I agree. Our approach should always be in a loving and gentle spirit. However, we know that to some we are the aroma of life, to others the smell of death. It is inevitable that some will be offended, which is exactly my point regarding friendship evangelism.
The hardest people to witness to are our family and friends because if they get offended then we risk losing our relationship. So most people put it off waiting for the 'right moment', with excuse after excuse ('I don't know them well enough', 'I haven't earned the right to witness to them', 'I don't want to offend them and push them further away', 'I don't want to lose the opportunity to share with them later'). Unfortunately too often a lot of Christians wait until it is too late and they (their family or friends) die in their sin.
8

News Item12/9/12 7:38 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Leah wrote:
Sorry for the long post. It's something I'm passionate about, as I have tried it both ways and know which is more effective.
No need to apologise for your post, it made interesting reading, and I wish more people were interested in the "fishing for men" in this world.

Catching fish in sea, lake or river, requires much thought, planning and execution. And bringing men to Christ is no less difficult. It is one thing to theorise, and another to have good success. At least we know that if we tell sinners about the Lord Jesus Christ, who he is and what he has done for sinners, and that through him they may be reconciled to the Creator God, the Holy Spirit has the opportunity to give the increase, in a way which only he can perform.

I personally do not like the expression "friendship evangelism", but I do believe in "friendly evangelism", in which the only offense can come from God and his word. After all, we are only dying men preaching to dying men; we are natural-born sinners trying to communicate with our fellows of the great change that comes with forgiveness of sins and the gift of eternal life. But until a sinner comes to faith, they are actually an enemy of God and therefore our enemy.

7

News Item12/9/12 6:31 PM
Leah | Australia  Find all comments by Leah
'Friendship evangelism', by its very definition, is also very deceitful and is not really what they are talking about in this article. Real 'Friendship evangelism' says to make friends first, then later on, when they bring up the subject, talk to them about God. But from talking to non-Christians who have been on the receiving end of this, they feel like the only reason these Christians became friends was to talk to them about God (which is true) and then, if they rejected the Gospel, dumped them and moved onto other 'fish'. It is better to share the Gospel first one-to-one, THEN become friends. At least there is no pretense.
Sorry for the long post. It's something I'm passionate about, as I have tried it both ways and know which is more effective.
6

News Item12/9/12 6:29 PM
Leah | Australia  Find all comments by Leah
Generalising sin, as in 'all have sinned' is certainly not offensive, but neither is it very effective. I know for myself that it was only when my sin became personal that my heart was convicted and God granted me repentance and faith and saved me. Romans 3:20 'through the law comes the knowledge of sin' is a verse that could and should be used (and expanded upon) if u are using the 'Roman Road'.
Regarding 'friendship evangelism'.... You will find that most 'conversations over coffee with friends' if they ever get to talk about spiritual matters, never get to personalise sin, because that would be potentially offensive and most 'friends' don't want to risk losing the friendship, so they are never as honest about the Gospel as they would be to a stranger.
5

News Item12/9/12 6:27 PM
Leah | Australia  Find all comments by Leah
Generalising sin, as in 'all have sinned' is certainly not offensive, but neither is it very effective. I know for myself that it was only when my sin became personal that my heart was convicted and God granted me repentance and faith and saved me. Romans 3:20 'through the law comes the knowledge of sin' is a verse that could and should be used (and expanded upon) if u are using the 'Roman Road'.
Regarding 'friendship evangelism'.... You will find that most 'conversations over coffee with friends' if they ever get to talk about spiritual matters, never get to personalise sin, because that would be potentially offensive and most 'friends' don't want to risk losing the friendship, so they are never as honest about the Gospel as they would be to a stranger.
'Friendship evangelism', by its very definition, is also very deceitful and is not really what they are talking about in this article. Real 'Friendship evangelism' says to make friends first, then later on, when they bring up the subject, talk to them about God. But from talking to non-Christians who have been on the receiving end of this, they feel like the only reason these Christians became friends was to talk to them about God (which is true) and then, if they rejected the Gospel, dumped them and moved onto other 'fish'. It
4

News Item12/5/12 8:46 PM
Barry from KY | Northern KY  Find all comments by Barry from KY
Jim Lincoln wrote:
It's not telling them they are sinners, but --all-- are sinners. While the Word is offensive to those who are not elected, it still can be put in a way that is not offensive, The Roman Road even though the complete message may will offend many. The mechanics of the presentation of the Gospel shouldn't be.
Well put Jim, and I agree. The message hasn't changed after all these years. It can't change! I've set through too many church services getting yelled at to believe that it is effective on the streets to people who do not believe.
3

News Item12/5/12 3:04 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
It's not telling them they are sinners, but --all-- are sinners. While the Word is offensive to those who are not elected, it still can be put in a way that is not offensive, The Roman Road even though the complete message may will offend many. The mechanics of the presentation of the Gospel shouldn't be.
2

News Item12/5/12 2:02 PM
Frank  Contact via emailFind all comments by Frank
I read the article through. It sounded a lot like Rick Warren's ministry. Like him, it also avoids telling someone they are sinners that will experience God's wrath if they don't repent of their sins and receive God's mercy and forgiveness. Sounds like they are ashamed of the gospel?
1
There are a total of 11 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Last PostTotal
'Thought Police' Target NFL Super Bowl-Winning Coach for...
look in the mirror: " s c 'look in the mirror', here's a newsflash: one doesn't..."
-2 hrs 33 
Two American Missionaries Fighting for Life Against Ebola Virus
jim lincoln from nebraska: "http://www.star-telegram.com..."
-2 hrs 
Pope Francis Becomes First Pope to Visit Pentecostal Church;...
sf from tx: "john uk wrote: ' . when they are very young, it can be read to them..."
-3 hrs 42 


Fellow Workers for Kingdom 1
Scott Parish
Biblical Womanhood

Family, Marriage and Gender
Sunday Service
Kings Canyon Christian
Play! | MP3 | RSS


Pastor Charles Garrison
The Miracle of America

Calvary Memorial Church
Sunday - AM
Transcript!Play! | MP4

Robert Rubino
Christian Respect The Uniform!

Galatians 3:1-9
Fellowship Baptist Church
Video!Play! | MP4

E. A. Johnston
America Revival Or Ruin

Ambassadors For Christ Intl-US
Teaching
Staff Pick!Play! | MP3

Pastor Joseph LoSardo
It's a Wicked World, After All

Under the Sun
Bread of Life Fellowship
Play! | MP3

Blog 7/29/14
Experiencing Opposition.

New York Gospel Mission
&ldq­uo;god is not the author of conf­us­ion but of...

Sponsor:
Obama: The Anti-Israel President?

The Rest­or­at­ion of the Jews (Isr­ael) In Ref­ormed Esch­at­ol­ogy, Free MP3s, Vid­eos, etc.
www.puritandownloads.com/th..

Sponsor:
Hilarious Christian comedian for hire!

Past­ors hire Mutzie to perf­orm at your church and I guar­antee you'll have him ret­urn.
www.mutzie.com

Sermon: TG Pt.4 "Intolerant Paul"
Robert Rubino






                   
There is nothing but heaven worth setting our hearts upon. ... Richard Baxter

City: Austin, TX
Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal
MOBILE
iPhone + iPad New!
Church App New!
Android New!
Church App New!
Kindle + Nook New!
BlackBerry
Windows Mobile, Nokia
Chromecast TV New!
ROKU TV
Pebble Smartwatch New!
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices New!
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription Service
HIFI Option
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domains
Favorites
QR Codes
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword
SOAP API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
SermonAudio.com is the largest library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide. All broadcasters must adhere to the Articles of Faith.

Our Services | Testimonials
Broadcast With Us!
Support Us
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Copyright © 2014 SermonAudio.com.