Sign in or signup

4,802 active users!!Bandwidth
FRIDAY
JUL 1, 2016
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
Broadcasters
Local Church Finder
Webcast LIVE NOW!
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -26 min
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
Stores
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

Breaking News Home | All | Religion | Society | Tech | Choice | FF | SA News
FRONT PAGE  |  7/1/2016
THURSDAY, JUN 3, 2010  |  7 comments
Faith-Based Insurance: Christian Health-Sharing Plans
Three years ago, James Lansberry faced the kind of health care crisis that has become all too common in the U.S. Less than two weeks after his wife Theresa gave birth to their sixth child, she had to rush back to the hospital to have her appendix removed before it burst. Her medical bills eventually totaled more than $23,000. It would have been a stressful time for any family — but especially for those who, like the Lansberrys, do not have health insurance.

But James, the sole breadwinner for his Peoria, Ill., family, didn't lose sleep over the cost of his wife's procedure and hospital stay. The Lansberrys belong to what is called a health-sharing ministry, an organization whose Christian members pay one another's medical costs. Within a few weeks of Theresa's appendectomy, the family received checks (and get-well cards) from more than 100 people in 21 states, covering the medical costs and ...


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
www.time.com

   03/14/15  |  Another One Bites the Dust • 2 comments
   03/11/15  |  God Doesn't Want Matt Chandler to be Your Pastor • 21 comments
   01/08/14  |  Christian Post: Warning, this article may offend many Christians • 93 comments
   01/01/14  |  Michelle Obama praises lesbian TV anchor • 17 comments
   12/29/13  |  U.S. Slams 'Conservative Gender Norms' • 377 comments
MORE RELATED ( ) NEWS | MORE..
   06/29/16  |  Kentucky's ark defies science? • 40 comments
   06/29/16  |  Pennsylvania Megachurch Votes to Leave PCUSA for Theologically... • 3 comments
   06/28/16  |  50 Dead; 60 Injured in Instanbul Airport Attack • 1 comments
   06/28/16  |  Restrooms at National Parks ‘Align’ With Gender Identity • 17 comments
   06/25/16  |  Remember me for gay marriage, says PM • 25 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   07/01/16  |  Feedback Friday for 07-01-16 • 2 comments
   06/24/16  |  Feedback Friday for 06-24-16 • 3 comments
   06/17/16  |  Feedback Friday for 06-17-16 • 2 comments
   06/10/16  |  Feedback Friday for 06-10-16 • 2 comments
   06/03/16  |  Feedback Friday for 06-03-16 • 4 comments
MORE SPECIAL | MORE..
   07/01/16  |  Feedback Friday for 07-01-16 • 2 comments
   07/01/16  |  Legal Experts: Transgender Pronoun Mandates Are Unconstitutional • 3 comments
   07/01/16  |  Report: China still harvests prisoners’ organs
   07/01/16  |  James Dobson Says Paula White Led Donald Trump to Jesus Christ • 51 comments
   07/01/16  |  Pentagon ends ban on transgender troops • 15 comments
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..
COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 7 user comment(s)
News Item6/4/10 4:04 PM
Guinness  Find all comments by Guinness
Mike wrote:
Since no names were provided and no evidence was given in the
"case" cited,
Mike,

This article was not a piece of formal academic research requiring footnotes, sources and cross-referencing. It would have been quite inappropriate for the director of the Illinois department of insurance to breach confidentiality and provide names without permission. I believe him. You have the freedom to be a cynic.

If you want to question objectivity in the article have you also considered that of all the thousands of people involved in "Faith-Based Insurance" the example they found of a picture-postcard family "just happened" to be the family of a VP of the company? (BTW I suspect this is more a case of lazy journalism than a complete absence of satisfied customers. I may be cynical about journalists).

If I was a member of Lansberry's little 'circle', yes I too would make sure I sent in my cheque for his family's medical bills on time! I would also help him buy a lawnmower too by the look of things.

If "Faith-Based Insurance" is your thing, go for it. But I wouldn't be rushing to buy it if I were you. Caveat emptor.

7

News Item6/4/10 11:03 AM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
Guinness wrote:
Mike,
Not unseemly but, how does church attendance demonstrate someone is a Christian and prevent abuse of the system? That's a very bold working assumption you are making there. Will just any church do? On what basis are they deciding? Is attendance really sufficient, why not a membership test?
---
What assumption? Never said it's about church attendance, but about demonstrating that "they are somehow indeed Christian." There is always this: by their fruits you shall know them. Unless cynicism won't allow for it, of course.

Guinness wrote:
Re: the serious car accident, the issue would be whether he found a case, not whether he had a vested interest. There needs to be objective accountability not prejudiced dismissal of evidence.
Since no names were provided and no evidence was given in the
"case" cited, it cannot be used to prejudicially support argument against faith based "schemes." Sources say? Caveat lector.

Guinness wrote:
It doesn't seem unseemly for a Christian to question the wisdom of "trust me I'm a Christian" pseudo-insurance. Caveat emptor.
Caveat emptor is a given in this world, more so when dealing with non-Christian organizations.
6

News Item6/3/10 9:37 PM
Guinness  Find all comments by Guinness
Mike wrote:
It doesn't seem unseemly that a Christian led healthcare organization for Christian participants might require the members to demonstrate that they are somehow indeed Christian...
Mike,

Not unseemly but, how does church attendance demonstrate someone is a Christian and prevent abuse of the system? That's a very bold working assumption you are making there. Will just any church do? On what basis are they deciding? Is attendance really sufficient, why not a membership test?

No objection against the smoking prohibition.

Re: the serious car accident, the issue would be whether he found a case, not whether he had a vested interest. There needs to be objective accountability not prejudiced dismissal of evidence.

Can you imagine the 'insurers' investigating whether or not an unmarried pregnant woman was raped or not? It would typically take more than 9 months to wait upon the securing of a conviction in a court of law. Rape victims have described being cross-examined as like being raped all over again, but ultimately the 'insurers' need an additional cross-examination to enforce that stipulation.

It doesn't seem unseemly for a Christian to question the wisdom of "trust me I'm a Christian" pseudo-insurance. Caveat emptor.

5

News Item6/3/10 9:04 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
It doesn't seem unseemly that a Christian led healthcare organization for Christian participants might require the members to demonstrate that they are somehow indeed Christian. How else to prevent system abuse by unbelievers? And not smoking would surely be useful in health maintenance, thus lowering costs. In any case is it of benefit to condemn the many for the misbehavior of the few?

Re: The quote from Michael McRaith, director of the Illinois department of insurance, who "cites a case." He wouldn't have any personal/professional interest in finding "a case," would he?

4

News Item6/3/10 8:38 PM
Guinness  Find all comments by Guinness
Mike wrote:
People who participate know the rules. Limited enrollment, no coverage for every sniffle. That's why it costs less.
"McRaith cites a case in which a ministry refused to pay after a serious car accident."

Hardly a sniffle.
I trust the scheme members don't share the road with any bad drivers ... ever.

Another observation. A sermonaudio preacher commented recently with regard to pastoral abuses of office:-
"There are plenty of professing Christians out there who can give you their horror stories if you care to look."

What a delightful prospect therefore to have health insurance contingent upon such men:-
"If accepted, members must attend church regularly — and have that attendance verified by a pastor — and abstain from tobacco use in order to maintain their status."

3

News Item6/3/10 8:24 PM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
People who participate know the rules. Limited enrollment, no coverage for every sniffle. That's why it costs less.

Anyone ever figure out that a powerful driving force for the cost of healthcare is the existence of insurance? The disconnect that insurance creates between provider and patient allows for such. "They" will pay for it, so why not charge as much for a service as can be charged? Why not go to the emergency room for a minor scratch?

As an anecdotal example, I was in the hospital some years ago. My doctor was out of town, so his sub came in, looked at my chart, looked at my feet(which had nothing to do with my presence)and walked out without a word. All took about a minute. When I saw the charges to the insurance company, there it was, $100 for a "consultation" fee. Does anyone think he would have done this if he had to charge me directly? But because of insurance, he could get away with it. When this stuff happens, rates go up. Can you say Duh?

2

News Item6/3/10 5:46 PM
Guinness  Find all comments by Guinness
"By contrast, health-sharing ministries provide no guarantee that they will cover medical costs and no recourse to members who get stuck with astronomical medical bills."

"Christians" acting as a law to themselves with no accountability either to the law of the land or the Word of God.

Caveat emptor.

1
There are a total of 7 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Last PostTotal
James Dobson Says Paula White Led Donald Trump to Jesus Christ
ms: "what an extremely cruel remark in steve r. last post..please remove it sermon..."
-1 min 51 
Calvinism Not to Blame for Southern Baptist Decline, JD Greear...
kev from san diego: "john 4 j wrote: 2) there isn't any mention of sin being..."
-9 min 95 
White evangelicals say U.S. no longer a Christian nation
mike from new york: " jim lincoln --- in any event, there is no evidence that..."
-25 min 14 



John Pittman Hey
Rightly Detecting God's Grace

Grace the Unearned Gift of God
Sunday Service
Grace Bible Church
Play! | MP3 | RSS

Parables #3 Sin Securely
Dr. James M. Phillips

Dr. Andy Bloom
His Grace Is Still Amazing

Central Baptist Church
Sunday - AM
Video!Play! | MP4

Danny Farley
Prodigal Son Didn't Expect...

Bluegrass Pike Baptist Church
Special Meeting
Transcript!Play! | MP3

Bob Vincent
Jesus' Death: Our Salvation

Dying in a Mental Institution
Grace Presbyterian Church
Play! | MP3

James I. Gracie
Leaving The European Union

Edinburgh Free Church (Cont)
Sunday Service
Video!Play! | MP4

Event: Sep 28-30, 2017
Reforming Families Conference 2017

In Partnership with SermonAudio and the FPC of Indianapolis
Conference
FPC of Indianapolis

Event: Jan 19-21, 2017
G3 Conference 2017

The Reformation at 500
Conference
Pray's Mill Baptist Church

Sponsor:
Paul Washer: "Most Useful Bible Study"

See what Paul Washer calls the most useful Bible study tool in hist­ory. Click here!
www.puritandownloads.com/pa..

Sponsor:
Family Worship Radio

We exist is to str­engthen par­ents to lead cons­ist­ent, fruitful family worsh­ip.
www.familyworshipradio.com

Sermon: Contending for the Faith!
Curt Arend

SPONSOR | 3,900+

SPONSOR




                   
Our lives should be such as men may safely copy. ... C. H. Spurgeon

Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal


MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
Church App
Android New!
Church App
Kindle + Nook
Chromecast TV
ROKU TV
Amazon Fire TV
BlackBerry | Win
Apple Watch
Android Wear
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription
PowerClips
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domain
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BW
JSON API New!

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Support Us | Feedback Fridays New!