SITE NOTICE | MORE..Church App 50% Setup Sale! For a limited time, get your own church app for either iOS or Android platforms for a one-time setup charge of only $99 (each platform). Simply the easiest way to get your own native app! .. click for more info!
Report: Sweaty Chinese Man Electrocuted by Computer
20-year-old student in Shanghai, China, was electrocuted Monday when he opened his computer's external case while the machine was still on, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The man, identified only by the common family name of Wu, had apparently opened his PC's case to prevent its central processing chip from overheating ‚ÄĒ because he didn't want to turn his air conditioning on.
His sweaty legs came into contact with the computer's internal wiring, likely causing a short circuit.
The computer's internal voltage can reach as high as 380 volts in power-storage capacitors, which is enough to give a deadly shock....
The internal wiring inside a computer case doesn't have lethal voltage once you get past the power supply. People run computers with the case open all the time, and technicians test motherboards on workbenches without a case. Could have been a short, or the guy touched the power supply somehow. If I had to speculate, my guess is there was a faulty power supply that somehow made the chassis live with full voltage and he touched it. (I'd take a third-hand article with a grain of salt.)