WHITEFIELD, N.H. - Police and school officials are issuing warnings about a potentially fatal game gaining popularity among teenagers after the death of a 14-year-old boy.
Eighth-grader Rodney Webster died last week after choking himself to deprive his brain of oxygen so he could feel a brief rush when the blood flow returned.
His death prompted Whitefield Police Chief Bill Colburn and school officials to create pamphlets outlining the danger of the so-called "choking game." They will be distributed Monday when children return from winter break.
The game ‚ÄĒ also known as space monkey, flat-liner, fainting game and black out ‚ÄĒ was responsible for more than 50 deaths last year and eight this year, according to the Stop The Choking Game Web site....
Hundreds of children are killed, playing 'Space Monkey' or the choking game. In this program a couple of dads discuss the endless search engaged by young teens for the next great thrill. How are children trained to entertain themselves to death??
Just following thru on the consequences of their parents' or teachers' philosophy, just as in the '60s. And childhood is all about "having fun," as youth pastors helpfully emphasize (see your local church's youth group website for evidence).