members, click to sign in..

4,588 active users!!Bandwidth
WEDNESDAY
JUL 30, 2014
Home
NewsSITE
Events & Blogs
New Audio & Video
BroadcastersNew Stuff!
Local Church Finder
Live Webcasts
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -9 min
Top Sermons
VideosPDFs
Daily Log
PhotosNew Stuff!
Stores
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Submit Sermon
Members Only

 
USER COMMENTS BY “ C. MAX ”
All Comments
All Types Sermons News Blogs Events Store
RECENTLY-COMMENTED SERMONS | MoreLast PostTotal
Sermon The Underground Church In America | E. A. Johnston
Stacy Harp from TN
"Thank you again for another message of truth. I'm still playing your..."
-4 hrs 
Sermon Wait thou only upon God | Pastor Chalan Hetherington
Florin Motiu from Oradea, Romania
-5 hrs 
Sermon Meditation on WSC86.1 | Chuck Muether
Linda Kraayenbrink from GR Michigan
-5 hrs 
· Page 1 ·  Found: 9 user comments posted recently.
News Item8/14/10 4:51 PM
C.Max  Find all comments by C.Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
419
comments
Alan H wrote:
1. "THAT Greek word is normally translated as the definite article - "THE"
NOT as "what""

2. Strong's Concordance - AV-which 413, who 79, the things 11, the son 8, misc 32; 543

3. Could you please restate your reason for seemingly objecting to the word "what" in this verse:

Alan
3. I have no objections to any word used in the KJV.

1. The Greek word in brackets here (3588)
"2:6 καὶ νῦν [[ τὸ ]] κατέχον οἴδατε εἰς τὸ ἀποκαλυφθῆναι αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ ἑαυτοῦ καιρῷ "

Is normally translated as the indefinite article viz "the" in the Bible. This was in conjunction with the debate on the word "what" used in this verse, a point brought up by David.

2. If your number crunching is important to you on this, then at the appendix of Strong's you will find the word = "the" - listed over six thousand times under the Strongs # 3588.


News Item8/14/10 11:53 AM
C.Max  Find all comments by C.Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
419
comments
Alan H wrote:
What Greek text are you using? In the AV, the word which has that underlying Greek Word the most is the word "which." WHAT GIVES???
2Th 2:6 "And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time."
Not quite sure where you are coming from??

Strongs reference number for the word "what" (the word in question) is G3588.
Which provides....

G3588
ὁ, ἡ, τό
ho hē to
ho, hay, to
The masculine, feminine (second) and neuter (third) forms, in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom): - the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.
__________

I agree 3588 may sometimes be given as "which" (or even what) - together with 3748, 3739 etc.
____________

My point in this verse is that it is translated "what" (5101, 3739, etc) but is defined as the definite article as stated above.
However the "english" sense of the verse requires "what"


News Item8/13/10 4:39 PM
C.Max  Find all comments by C.Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
419
comments
DavidD1960 wrote:
however in my KJV they are always in italics.There in this verse all the words are in bold character. Also my Bible gives the Greek word "katecho".
The reformers of old all understood this "what" to be the Roman empire,and the "he" of verse 7 to be the emperor.And the Antichrist to be the pope.
I agree with the "italics" point of course. Why in this case they did not apply this rule I don't know. Perhaps because instead of just adding a word - they replaced one, to make english sense??

Matthew Poole the Puritan suggests that Paul is being deliberately obscure here. In verse 6 Paul refers to "a thing" whereas in verse 7 he refers to a "person"
But continues to say that this thing/person would be removed eventually.
Poole and Calvin both refer to the Roman Empire idea. But Calvin does not accept it. He thinks that Paul was referring to the passage of the Gospel in history until the whole world was convicted.
Quote:: "Paul declared that the light of the gospel must be diffused through all parts of the earth before God would thus give loose reins to Satan"... OR the power of the Roman Empire stood in the way of the rise of Antichrist..."(Calvin cmntry)


News Item8/13/10 3:06 PM
C.Max  Find all comments by C.Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
419
comments
Jim Lincoln wrote:
"What" is used, if it isn't avoided entirely in some translations because that is apparently in all the Greek manuscripts for
Wrong! Jim.
This is from the Greek text which supports your beloved NASB.

"2:6 καὶ νῦν τὸ κατέχον οἴδατε εἰς τὸ ἀποκαλυφθῆναι αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ ἑαυτοῦ καιρῷ "

The word in question in Greek is = τὸ
Which is the 3rd word here.

THAT Greek word is normally translated as the definite article - "THE"

NOT as "what"

Therefore as "dynamic" translations go your NASB - Has done the same thing.


News Item8/13/10 2:17 PM
C.Max  Find all comments by C.Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
419
comments
DavidD1960 wrote:
If,as you say,the Holy Spirit cannot be called an "it",then it stands to reason that He cannot be called a "what"either
If we agree on this,then a lot of peoples eschatology will need to change. I'm referring to
2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 Your NASB version agrees with my KJV by stating "what" in verse 6,and then in verse 7 states "he".
Do you agree? Please answer my inquiries.
David
You have picked an unusual piece of translation here.

The Greek words do not have "what" in this spot. The Greek word at this point usually is translated - "the" in english.
Thus v6...would read...
"6 And now ye know *THE* withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time."

Which as you can see doesn't work in english.
But We can see that the NASB (and the NIV) follows this method.

Sometimes english words have to be added to make "english" sense of a phrase, to english readers.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.


Survey5/24/07 9:55 AM
C.Max.  Find all comments by C.Max.
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
455
comments
Michael
I will credit you with optimism if however somewhat misplaced. Your words don't match up with the predictions eg Matthew chapter 24!
The churches experience historically, today and until judgement day will always be one of affliction in an alien country.

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience

Rom 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

1Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: [9] Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same AFFLICTIONS are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

2 Corinthians 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ


Survey5/24/07 6:17 AM
C. Max.  Find all comments by C. Max.
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
455
comments
cbcpreacher
Revival is not going to happen during the current perilous times.
We are heading into another dark age where Amos's "famine of hearing the word" is the zeitgeist for now.
This is a time of trial and tribulation for the True Christian servant.

2Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

Mark 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

Psalm 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.

Psalm 119:75 I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.

## prayer for church
= Psalm 143:
7 Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.
9 Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.
10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
11 Quicken me, O LORD, for thy name's sake: for thy righteousness' sake...


Survey5/21/07 12:35 PM
C. Max.  Find all comments by C. Max.
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
(This survey is no longer available)
""Once we have overcome self, we have overcome the flesh, the world, and the devil.""

"WE" have overcome???

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Rom 7:24 "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

2Cor 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."


News Item5/19/07 10:19 AM
C. Max  Find all comments by C. Max
• Add new comment
• Reply to comment
• Report abuse
1
comment
Frame number three looks like Homer Simpson, Bart's dad.
So it must be authentic???


Audio Bible: Ezekiel 4
Gary Shepard
Commands to The Unable

Commands to The Unable
Bible Study
Eager Avenue Grace Church
Play! | MP4 | RSS


Pastor Joseph LoSardo
It's a Wicked World, After All

Under the Sun
Bread of Life Fellowship
Play! | MP3

Blog 7/29/14
Experiencing Opposition.

New York Gospel Mission
&ldq­uo;god is not the author of conf­us­ion but of...

Sponsor:
Hilarious Christian comedian for hire!

Past­ors hire Mutzie to perf­orm at your church and I guar­antee you'll have him ret­urn.
www.mutzie.com

Sermon: Underground Church In America
E. A. Johnston






                   
Only once did God choose a completely sinless preacher. ... Alexander Whyte

City: Austin, TX
Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal
MOBILE
iPhone + iPad New!
Church App New!
Android New!
Church App New!
Kindle + Nook New!
BlackBerry
Windows Mobile, Nokia
Chromecast TV New!
ROKU TV
Pebble Smartwatch New!
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
Tips & Tricks
YouTube Screencasts

FOLLOW
Weekly Newsletter
Staff Picks Feed
Site Notices
RSS | Twitter | Facebook
SERVICES | ALL
Local Church Finder | Info
MP3 Play & Download
Mobile Apps
Podcasting
Video Support
Live Webcasting
Transcription Service
HIFI Option
Business Cards
SOLO | MINI | Domains
Favorites
QR Codes
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Sermon Browser
HTML Codes
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword
SOAP API

BATCH
Transfer Agent
Protected Podcasts
Upload via Email
Auto-Upload Sermons
Auto-Blog Import
Picasa | FTP | Dropbox
ABOUT US
SermonAudio.com is the largest library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide. All broadcasters must adhere to the Articles of Faith.

Our Services | Testimonials
Broadcast With Us!
Support Us
Advertising | Local Ads
CONTACT
info@sermonaudio.com
Copyright © 2014 SermonAudio.com.